Solved

Adding SMB File Share Issues

Userlevel 2

Good day. I’m setting up a new Veeam 12.1 on-prem environment. Currently the Veeam B&R server is not domain-joined. We are working on a separate management domain, but it’s not yet ready. And, I don’t think it should matter as a workgroup setup is a recommended best practice.

I’m attempting to add an SMB file share from a domain-joined Windows 2019 file server to Veeam, but it’s not able to access the file server share.

For instance, the file server is “fileserver01” and the share is “P$”. I can navigate to it from my desktop or a domain server using “\\fileserver01.domain.com\p$”. I have tried using my domain credentials as well as the local file server administrator account (fileserver01\administrator), but Veeam cannot access that file share.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by PilotMark 30 April 2024, 16:59

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do you have the right credentials in place (configured) for VBR to access the file share without errors? If you are sure of this. How did you add the “Windows 2019 file server” to the Veeam Inventory? BTW, we have discussed the steps in this guide.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Be sure to check credentials but also things like firewall, UAC, etc.  Some other posts from here dealing with similar things -

VBR outside domain - possible issues | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Failed to connect to 192,168,201.98 Detail: The user name or password is incorrect, Failed to connectto share "192.168.201.98ADMIN$' | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@PilotMark, can you share some useful screenshots? So we can see what you are doing and the errors you are getting.

Userlevel 2

Seems that I can’t edit the original post for more information, so putting it here:

It appears that the issue was the format of the UID/Password I was using to access the file share. I set up credentials using the “domain/UID” format but when I changed it to “UID@domain” format it worked.

Thanks for the responses.

Comment