Skip to main content

Veeam Backup for Proxmox – Architecture and Setup (Part 1)

Support for Proxmox from Veeam has been one of the top requests in the last months. Therefore the announcement in May to extend the Hypervisor support to Proxmox Virtual Environment (VE) has been long awaited! This will be the 7th virtualization platform supported by Veeam, in addition to the 3 cloud hyperscalers and the Veeam agents.

The Proxmox integration is currently planned for Q3 of 2024 and v1 will already include some nice features/benefits:

• flexible storage options
  • immutable backups
  • granular recovery
  • cross-platform recovery (for example Proxmox <> VMware)
  • Veeam ‘standard’ performance with CBT, hot add backup and Bitlooker

In part 1 of this blog series I want to give a quick overview of the architecture of Veeam Backup for Proxmox and it’s initial setup.

Disclaimer: All information and screenshots in this blog post are based on an early access release. Until the final release changes can and will occur!

Architecture

The Proxmox integration itself will be enabled with an additional plug-in, which is installed on the Veeam Backup Server.

Besides the Veeam Backup Server and at least a Backup Repository, Veeam Backup for Proxmox will utilize workers. The workers transfer the VM data from the Proxmox VE host to the backup repository; similar to the workers in AHV backup or the backup proxies for VMware. They are Linux based and can be deployed directly from the Veeam console. There should be at least one worker per host in order to utilize hot add transport mode.

Plug-in setup

Nothing special to write about the setup of the plug-in; next, next, finish.

Adding a Proxmox VE host

After installing the plug-in, Proxmox will be available as an additional server in the Virtual Infrastructure tab.

Directly after adding a new Proxmox host, you’ll get asked whether you want to deploy a worker.

Afterwards the Proxmox host including it’s VMs should be visible in the inventory.

Overall the setup and configuration of Veeam Backup for Proxmox isn’t complicated and is very straightforward. In the next blog post I will focus on backup & restore of Proxmox VMs, and also on the migration of workloads from VMware to Proxmox.

47 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Great article Max. Looking forward to testing this at some point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Nice initial setup post Max. Looking forward to other Parts!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Great article, thanks for sharing! @regnor 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

FastSCP already works! Throwback!

Hello! 

Is it possible to download this plugin somewhere? Couldn't find it

And will there be access to it in the community edition?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Kremensky , the plug-in is currently in private beta, so it's not yet available in public. There's no information available so far about the community edition.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

More to this @Kremensky  → engage with your Veeam contact, such as an SE, as this is supported by the account team or whoever issues you the beta.

Wow, looks already well ahead in the development. Looking forward for the availability to download and test it !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Got the beta so will test it soon after work calms down.  Looking forward to this one. 😎

Got the beta so will test it soon after work calms down.  Looking forward to this one. 😎

How can one person jioin the beta program?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

How can one person jioin the beta program?

You need to contact your SE/SA and get the beta.  It is not publicly available.

where to locate this plugin

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Great article, Max.

I am anxious to try it myself. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

where to locate this plugin

You need to contact your Veeam SE/SA to get it.  It is not publicly available as yet.

Userlevel 3

@regnor 
According to the picture, there are only 6 virtualization platforms. Which is the other one?

“This will be the 7th virtualization platform supported by Veeam”

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@YiDongVeeCN We count ‘Azure Stack HCI’ as a separate platform. It’s added via ‘Microsoft Hyper-V’ on the screenshot, so this point can be seen as 2 platforms.

Userlevel 3

@YiDongVeeCN We count ‘Azure Stack HCI’ as a separate platform. It’s added via ‘Microsoft Hyper-V’ on the screenshot, so this point can be seen as 2 platforms.

Thanks for the answer

Where ist the field to enter manual the DNS Server. I think in this Beta its not avialable.

Thanks for the answer. Werner

Great topic Max, congratulations! I’m anxious to try it!

Does anyone knows when it will be available for all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@weierstock Actually the DNS settings are in a different dialog; see my screenshot below. Maybe the documentation needs an update as it’s not so specific.

@augusto.lira The release was planned for Q3, so hopefully it won’t take that much time anymore :)

Great, Anyone can set me to download the plug-in ?

I’d like to POC for my customer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The beta on the community is only available to the Veeam100. If you want to get this you need to contact your sales team and SE/SA.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Please keep in mind that the plug-in hasn’t been released so far. Therefore it should not be used in any productive environments or for customer POCs.

We host about 200 customers on Proxmox infrastructure and can’t wait to start testing this. Thank you for your innovation and great guides like this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

We host about 200 customers on Proxmox infrastructure and can’t wait to start testing this. Thank you for your innovation and great guides like this!

Be sure to share your findings as I know many here will be interested seeing a much larger environment tested.  😁

Comment