Solved

SQL Application Restore taking too long

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We restored close to 40TB of SQL Data. It took almost 100 hours to do the restore. The backup base image is on NetApp All Flash array. All the datastores for the VMs are in this array. So I would tend to think that application restore would be a lot faster unless application restores are done through the IP network (as opposed to Direct SAN). I monitored the network interface of the destination VM and saw the traffic coming into this interface.

What is really the data flow for a SQL application restore? 

icon

Best answer by regnor 23 July 2022, 07:22

View original

2 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

An application restore will go through the network and not the DirectSAN connection. So in your case I would say, you have a 1Gbit connection? Depending on what you were trying to achive, you could to an instant recovery. While this will still use the network, your database will be back online in just a few seconds.

Something different; do I get it right, that you store your backups on the same storage as your production data? If so, I hope you're also creating backup copies or backup to a secondary device. Or else you're in risk of losing all your data.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks for confirming the answer that application restore using network connection. We had to do a DB cross restore to an existing server so we were not able to do Instant Recovery.

To answer your question about having the backup data on the same volume/storage as the production data, the volume is being replicated off-site. We are also using NetApp which limits us to 16TB file size so we are unable to backup using normal Veeam backup (to vbk and vib) since the vbk would be larger than 16TB. I know this is not a good design on the part of the application/db.  

Comment