Netapp Best Practices bezüglich Fragen vom Usergroup Meeting Eschborn

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hallo,
beim User Group Meeting in Eschborn gab es einige Fragen zum Thema Netapp und dass Dinge nicht so laufen wie sie laufen sollten. Die Diskussion hat sich noch längere Zeit bei uns intern hingezogen und letztendlich hat sich daraus folgende Zusammenfassung ergeben (Englisch, weil ich es intern auch auf Englisch verbreitet habe und zu faul zum übersetzen bin :-))

RECOMMENDED DESIGN
- split backup jobs and snapshot only / SnapVault / SnapMirror jobs
- snapshot / SnapVault / SnapMirror jobs should be crash-consistent or retries should be disabled to avoid having more snapshots than planned
- yes, that design requires more jobs (160 instead of 80 in the scenario from Matthias), but it makes things much more stable and easier to maintain

NOT RECOMMENDED
- NFS datastores where some of the VMs will always have a VMware snapshot open (so BfSS will fail)
- one backup job with application aware processing that does backup from storage snapshots (BfSS) and two secondary jobs "Snapshot Only" and "SnapMirror"
- Side effect of combining application aware backup with secondary snapshot / snapmirror jobs: if application aware processing fails, there will be more snapshots one wants to see (works as designed, because the retention policy counts "success" per VM)

Beste Grüße,
Hannes

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Never used NetApp but great to see these BPs.  Thanks for sharing. 👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi Hannes,

thanks for your feedback.
The only thing I find difficult in the recommendations is "VMs will always have a VMware snapshot open". This also applies to VMs that often have a snapshot or many VMs that have a snapshot from time to time but on the same datastore (so same storage snap).
I have no chance to control this from a backup point of view and thus I always have a risk to run into the problem. So my request would be to solve this on the software side in Veeam, with a improved logic.....

But we are still in contact about this ;)

@Chris.Childerhose  Sometime is always the first time, maybe a good time to start with Netapp ;)

Greetings Matze

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Hannes,

thanks for your feedback.
The only thing I find difficult in the recommendations is "VMs will always have a VMware snapshot open". This also applies to VMs that often have a snapshot or many VMs that have a snapshot from time to time but on the same datastore (so same storage snap).
I have no chance to control this from a backup point of view and thus I always have a risk to run into the problem. So my request would be to solve this on the software side in Veeam, with a improved logic.....

But we are still in contact about this ;)

@Chris.Childerhose  Sometime is always the first time, maybe a good time to start with Netapp ;)

Greetings Matze

Yes we will see what happens and if I can get my hands on one.  😁

Comment