Windows could not start the Veeam backup service on local computer resolved

• 16 August 2023
  • 1 comment

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Veeam Backup Service is a Windows service that coordinates all operations performed by Veeam Backup & Replication such as backup, replication, recovery verification and restore tasks.

After creating a snapshot of the VM because of different tests I wish to perform. I proceeded to launch the VBR console and was met with the error “Error 1069: Windows could not start the Veeam backup service on local computer”.

The Veeam Backup Service runs under the LocalSystem account or account that has local Administrator permissions on the backup server.

Reason for this Error 1069: Windows could not start

To be honest, there are a few reasons for this error! But it all boils down to not having adequate permissions, or the wrong password to the service account used as it is in my case.

Please see some related articles from @MicoolPaul etc below. See this guide if you encounter “Failed to connect to Veeam Backup & Replication Server” prompted” 

•  

Fix “Windows could not start the Veeam backup service”

To fix this issue, open the Start menu and run services.msc in the command prompt. Locate Veeam Backup Service. From the menu, click on the Log On tab and ensure the right password is selected. 

But, if you have forgotten the account password used, you can reset this. 

Reset Veeam Backup Service Account Password

In my case, I am using the Local Administrator password. In order to proceed, please launch the Computer Management console, from the search window, type “Computer Management”.

Windows Computer Management Tool is a bundle of Windows administrative tools provided by Microsoft for Windows administration. You can use it to access a series of administrative tools like Event Viewer, Task Scheduler, Device Manager, Disk Management, Services Manager etc.

Locate the local users and groups and select Users as shown below. Right-click on the Administrator Account to have it reset.

On the “Set Password for Administrator” button, click on proceed.

Enter the New Password and confirm the password by entering it again in the second field. When you are done, click on OK.

After entering the password correctly. You will be prompted with the prompt below. Click on OK to complete the password reset.

As you can see, it has started correctly. You now have various buttons to restart and stop the service. You may want to see how this error was resolved “Error 1064: An exception occurred in the service when handling the control request-Veeam”.

Now that the VBR service is running. Try to launch the Veeam Backup & Replication console again. Double-click on the shortcut on your Desktop. When open, click on connect as shown below.

That is all that is needed to resolve this issue. Here is the link to the blogpost for more information.

1 comment

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thanks For Sharing!

Comment