Openshift

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

I am going to start my Openshift journey now due to work requirements. I will post here my progress and anything interesting. I don’t know much except that Openshift is probably like Tanzu and Rancher, i.e. abstraction layer on top of basic Kubernetes. That may be a gross oversimplification :) I will find out. Thanks to @BertrandFR for answering some asap questions about Openshift too :). 

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Best of luck an interesting topic for sure just no time. 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Geoff Burke : Good Luck buddy !

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Great stuff @Geoff Burke I have not been able to get into OpenShift too much but from what I have seen it is very much like you said, that abstraction layer like the others you mention. I will say that it is much more advanced than say VMware Tanzu and winning the race when it comes to ease of management for Kubernetes, I also like the fact that you can deploy OpenShift in any of the public clouds as well as on premises and have that same look and feel and this is there today. Not something I dont believe VMware have with Tanzu yet.

Really looking forward to you documenting the journey though, it will be a great addition to your already awesome content.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

OpenShift is an opinionated Kubernetes platform, the same way Tanzu Kubernetes is from VMware.

There is also the open source/community offering called OKD (Openshift Kubernetes Distribution) which maps to the same things really, bar the enterprise features you’d paid for.

There’s a lot of blogs posts out there covering OpenShift, mainly because its a leader in the enterprise Kubernetes space alongside Tanzu, and they have a rich ecosystem of partners and solutions that integrate with them.

Red Hat have produced some good labs here - https://learn.openshift.com/

And I’ll plug some of my own blogs with an OpenShift focus.
The main areas I had to get to grips with when I first started working with OpenShift was:

• How cluster deployment works
    • IPI - Installer provisioned Infrastructure - This is the simple install into your cloud platform and the installer setups everything you need. This simple install limits some of the options you have available during a cluster bring up
    • UPI - User Provisioned Infrastructure - bring your own setup including building the node VMs and configuring them with metadata to bootstrap them. This can be a more complex setup and hard to get to grips with. Pre-Openshift Ver 4.5 installing to vSphere was only supported using UPI and I recorded this video here of this method.
    • There are also newer install methods as well triggered from their Advanced Cluster Management service (SaaS service only I believe, I could be wrong). One of these is the Assisted Installer - which is an ISO you boot your bare metal (works on VMs too), this ISO is pre-configured a bootable CD with all your build info there and where the host must connect to, to install itself and bootstrap.
  • OC Client - This is a CLI tool which brings together functions of kubectl and kubeadm plus some unique OpenShift functions. But for most day to day operations you can use oc and kubectl interchangeably
  • For a cluster build of OpenShift (not OKD) it’s only supported minimum size today is 3 master nodes, making it resource hungry. In the future this will change, it’s roadmap for single node clusters to be supported.

And that’s about it for everything off the top of my head currently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

More great information glad to be following this channel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

OpenShift is an opinionated Kubernetes platform, the same way Tanzu Kubernetes is from VMware.

There is also the open source/community offering called OKD (Openshift Kubernetes Distribution) which maps to the same things really, bar the enterprise features you’d paid for.

There’s a lot of blogs posts out there covering OpenShift, mainly because its a leader in the enterprise Kubernetes space alongside Tanzu, and they have a rich ecosystem of partners and solutions that integrate with them.

Red Hat have produced some good labs here - https://learn.openshift.com/

And I’ll plug some of my own blogs with an OpenShift focus.
The main areas I had to get to grips with when I first started working with OpenShift was:

• How cluster deployment works
    • IPI - Installer provisioned Infrastructure - This is the simple install into your cloud platform and the installer setups everything you need. This simple install limits some of the options you have available during a cluster bring up
    • UPI - User Provisioned Infrastructure - bring your own setup including building the node VMs and configuring them with metadata to bootstrap them. This can be a more complex setup and hard to get to grips with. Pre-Openshift Ver 4.5 installing to vSphere was only supported using UPI and I recorded this video here of this method.
    • There are also newer install methods as well triggered from their Advanced Cluster Management service (SaaS service only I believe, I could be wrong). One of these is the Assisted Installer - which is an ISO you boot your bare metal (works on VMs too), this ISO is pre-configured a bootable CD with all your build info there and where the host must connect to, to install itself and bootstrap.
  • OC Client - This is a CLI tool which brings together functions of kubectl and kubeadm plus some unique OpenShift functions. But for most day to day operations you can use oc and kubectl interchangeably
  • For a cluster build of OpenShift (not OKD) it’s only supported minimum size today is 3 master nodes, making it resource hungry. In the future this will change, it’s roadmap for single node clusters to be supported.

And that’s about it for everything off the top of my head currently.

This is really helpful @saintdle . I have minishift setup and believe it or not figured out that you could oc get pods on top of kubectl get pods :) I have come a long way ;). I saw the tutorials and looks like Redhat are providing some good guidance. I was also lucky to hit a udemy sale so bought two courses there one being from one of my fav teachers Mumshaad Mannambeth. Back to the books now so to speak!

Comment