Question

veeam backup&replication failed to connect to host

Userlevel 1
  • Comes here often
  • 10 comments

Hi everyone,

recenly i’m doing some test on the veeam backup&replication community edition on my Dell R710 which is running server 2019 standard. And at the first time, i can add a hyper-v server which is running server2019 (standalone) to the backup job, but once i deleted the job, i cannot add any hyper-v again.

It always shows :

Failed to connect to host 10.178.3.41

Access denied or timeout expired. (sometimes is invalid namespace)
Check if you have local administrator privileges on computer '10.178.3.41'.

Possible reasons:
1. Invalid credentials.
2. Specified host is not a Hyper-V server.

================

what i did for this issue:

1. https://www.veeam.com/kb1914
  2. https://www.scribd.com/document/421024195/Veeam-Backup-Invalid-Credentials-Error-Adding-a-Hyper#

4. I added both the target server and the server with the veeam installed to the domain
  5. created the local admin account for both server, using same account and pwd
  6. using domain admin account cannot work
  7. checking the port and disable the firewall , also the turn off the defender.
  8. checking the network is fine, dns is fine.

Now I'm really lost, how should I solve this problem.

27 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

From the Veeam server, can you connect to the hyper-v server using \\<FQDN>\admin$ and \\<IPAddressofHyper-VHost>\admin$

I’d try this under the user context of your domain joined accounts.

Userlevel 1

From the Veeam server, can you connect to the hyper-v server using \\<FQDN>\admin$ and \\<IPAddressofHyper-VHost>\admin$

I’d try this under the user context of your domain joined accounts.

Hi @MicoolPaul ,

yes, i did it already, I tried all the possibilities i think. I removed the domain account information in the screenshot to prevent information leakage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello,

I met this problem , it was cause by the UAC. Have you disabled it in the register base ? 

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Policies > System
  2. Double click on EnableLUA, verify if value is 0; if not, change it to 0.
  3. Restart computer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello,

I met this problem , it was cause by the UAC. Have you disabled it in the register base ? 

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Policies > System
  3. Restart computer.

This is why I suggested about the domain accounts. @Jeric what were your results when testing the admin shares manually? Did it work?

Userlevel 1

Hello,

3. Restart computer.

Hi @Stabz ,  thanks for your advise, but the setting is already changed to 0. still cannot work😫

cc @MicoolPaul 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Which version of the Hyper-V server do you want to add?
Are you in the latest Veeam version ?

You have probably already try to use the built-in administrator ? No problem to open the admin share from the veeam to the hyper-v as mentionned @MicoolPaul ?

Any GPO apply in the hyper-v host ?

Have you try to reboot both Veeam & hyper-v ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Try to use the built-in local administrator account, it has a unique SID which overrides the UAC. If you renamed the build-in local administrator, that should not be a problem because the SID is still the same. Try to use FQDN\Administrator to connect. Also disabled the Windows firewall.

If that doesn’t work, try to use the registry-key LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy - dword - 1

LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy accessing the C$ with a local account (adamcouch.co.uk)

Good luck.

Hyper-V can be more annoying to connect than vSphere.

Userlevel 1

Which version of the Hyper-V server do you want to add?
Are you in the latest Veeam version ?

You have probably already try to use the built-in administrator ? No problem to open the admin share from the veeam to the hyper-v as mentionned @MicoolPaul ?

Any GPO apply in the hyper-v host ?

Have you try to reboot both Veeam & hyper-v ?

Hi @Stabz ,

I‘m adding windows server 2019 standard, and the server which is running veeam is also 2019, same version. 

for the account, i do already used the bulit-in administator, you can see my screenshot before. i also changed the gpo setting and reboot both 2 servers. but, unfortunately, cannot work.

Userlevel 1

Try to use the built-in local administrator account, it has a unique SID which overrides the UAC. If you renamed the build-in local administrator, that should not be a problem because the SID is still the same. Try to use FQDN\Administrator to connect. Also disabled the Windows firewall.

If that doesn’t work, try to use the registry-key LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy - dword - 1

LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy accessing the C$ with a local account (adamcouch.co.uk)

Good luck.

Hyper-V can be more annoying to connect than vSphere.

Hi @Nico Losschaert ,

thanks for your suggestion, i tried the built-in administrator account, and disabled the firewall,also the registry key changed, but all of them cannot help on this case.  this is wired.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you tried to reboot the Hyper-V server? Just in case that anything’s hanging there.

Userlevel 1

Have you tried to reboot the Hyper-V server? Just in case that anything’s hanging there.

Hi @regnor ,

Yes, i also did the reboot for the hyper-v sever, the server which is the hyper-v host.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Anything useful logged in the event log during the login attempt from Veeam? And one guess, could you check the LmCompatibilityLevel on both the Hyper-V host and Veeam server?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/security-policy-settings/network-security-lan-manager-authentication-level

Userlevel 1

Anything useful logged in the event log during the login attempt from Veeam? And one guess, could you check the LmCompatibilityLevel on both the Hyper-V host and Veeam server?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/security-policy-settings/network-security-lan-manager-authentication-level

Hi @regnor , i checked the setting, and the setting is set to Send NTLMv2 response only, is that correct? and this still cannot work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

So both servers are at this level? If so, then this is not the problem.

Userlevel 1

So both servers are at this level? If so, then this is not the problem.

yes, both of the servers are at this level.😩

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Well it was worth a try 😐 My last idea would be to add the host via DNS to Veeam. If this also doesn't work then I would suggest to open a case with Veean support. With the community edition you'll have access to best effort support.

Userlevel 1

Well it was worth a try 😐 My last idea would be to add the host via DNS to Veeam. If this also doesn't work then I would suggest to open a case with Veean support. With the community edition you'll have access to best effort support.

Hi @regnor ,

thanks for the reminder , I always thought I was not authorized to open a ticket since i’m using a free license. anyway, i will open one, and will update here if they fix my issue, thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You are allowed to open support cases with a community license.

It’s just no guaranteed support, but best-effort support. This means that your ticket does not have priority and it can happen that it is closed when there is  a high volume of work at the moment for the support team.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello @Jeric any feedback about your error ?

Userlevel 1

Hello @Jeric any feedback about your error ?

Hi @Stabz ,

not yet , so far no feedback from veeam

Userlevel 1

You are allowed to open support cases with a community license.

It’s just no guaranteed support, but best-effort support. This means that your ticket does not have priority and it can happen that it is closed when there is  a high volume of work at the moment for the support team.

hI @JMeixner ,

thank you for your reminder,  so far i have not got any update from them.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Jeric,

did You solve the issue with Veeam support?

Hi,

Try using <hostname>\Administrator when registering/adding the Hyper-V host to Inventory

I had the same issue, rebooted hyper-v host > no luck

Created the firewall rule to permit any any using IPs from VeeamBackup system to HV host. > no luck

Rebooted the VeeamBackup system > it worked partially, got the error; \\--IP--\admin$ - no permission issue. 

Tried all option, enabled local Administrator a/c ; assigned a long complex password, permitted to add. 

I hope, it is important: firewall rule from VeeamBackup system to HV host. > permit > any any or find out and use the correct ports. 

host\user

Comment