VBR V12: Keep VBR and Enterprise Manager on same database engine

• 27 February 2023
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Just a quick tip regarding the database used for Veeam Backup & Replication and Enterprise Manager. You need to keep both on the same database engine, so either on Microsoft SQL or PostgreSQL. If you mix both database types, you will be presented with a warning when you try to add a VBR server to EM:

If you’re planing to migrate from Microsoft SQL to PostgreSQL, then keep in mind to also migrate the Enterprise Manager database.

You can also run into this problem when setting up a new Enterprise Manager as it will by default install and use PostgreSQL. In that case either select a different database during the setup or alter the database connection with the “Configuration Database Connection Settings” utility.

I haven’t read about this requirement so far, but the helpcenter mentions it:

Note that configuration databases of the Enterprise Manager server and backup servers added to the Enterprise Manager infrastructure must use the same database engine.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/em/setup_database.html?ver=120

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Perfect colocation @regnor!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That is interesting never tested that but it makes sense to have the same DB type for both.  Not sure why someone would have different versions. 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This is good to know. I am on SQL for both right now, so when I upgrade, i’ll have to change both of these. Or continue on SQL 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Makes sense.  I’ve been wondering for a while though what Enterprise Manager can do for me, aside from encryption password recovery.  Seems less helpful in smaller environments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Makes sense.  I’ve been wondering for a while though what Enterprise Manager can do for me, aside from encryption password recovery.  Seems less helpful in smaller environments.

Turning on Indexing on file servers and using EM allows you to search backup jobs to see where files are.. This is the main reason i use it… I don’t want to mount a 30TB file server over and over from different dates to find out where a file is.. Often I have a user saying they are missing a file, but it could have been deleted anytime in the last 2-3 months etc… I can search a few jobs at different points to make sure it’s there first…  (I can also run the auditing software to find out the time it was moved/deleted but it’s still helpful) 

If you do SQL app aware backups, Exchange App aware backups it comes in handy as well.

I’d like to get into the virtual lab features of EM where users (IT members) can request a VM and our team can approve it for test/dev type things. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Turning on Indexing on file servers and using EM allows you to search backup jobs to see where files are.. This is the main reason i use it… I don’t want to mount a 30TB file server over and over from different dates to find out where a file is.. Often I have a user saying they are missing a file, but it could have been deleted anytime in the last 2-3 months etc… I can search a few jobs at different points to make sure it’s there first…  (I can also run the auditing software to find out the time it was moved/deleted but it’s still helpful) 

If you do SQL app aware backups, Exchange App aware backups it comes in handy as well.

I’d like to get into the virtual lab features of EM where users (IT members) can request a VM and our team can approve it for test/dev type things. 

Mostly things I don’t use internally, but very good info to know...I appreciate the response.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Mostly things I don’t use internally, but very good info to know...I appreciate the response.

The file server index search alone makes it worth installing in my opinion..

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The file server index search alone makes it worth installing in my opinion..

Yeah, that’s the one I can really see as being useful.  We used to have an EM server, but it was decommissioned a couple years ago as we weren’t using it and haven’t found much of a need. 

Userlevel 3

Also be aware, if you add a Veeam Cloud Connect server to EM, it will replace the license, which turns VCC into B&R. That said, EM is not really very useful for VCC servers anyway.

I much prefer Service Provider Console to monitor multiple servers. However, you cannot do restore and explorer on VSCP. EM and VSCP are for different uses but, there is some overlap.

Comment