Question

VBR 12 with cloud ready license

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
  • Comes here often
  • 35 comments

hi, i would like to know, could i use my socket base license with VBR V12, and can i get all of features on VBR V12 with my socket base license ? such as Immutable with HLR, MFA, File Share Backup and so on 

Thank You

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes you can use it and if upgrading from v11 it will get converted to v12 format.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yep. I actally still use Socket License in my enviornment.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

so if i use file share backup with my socket license on VBR V12, will it consume my license ?, as i know that, for using file share backup feature it will consume 1 instance for 500 GB on VUL license. how about socket license. will it do the same such as VUL license ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not sure myself but check here - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/licensing.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

What edition of perpetual license are you using? 

VUL enables all features with the Enterprise Plus feature set, but perpetual licenses still have some features disabled on v12 with the lower (Standard, etc) editions.  For instance, I have a few clients using VBR v12 Standard and they can’t use direct-to-object or SOBR features.  Moving to v12 doesn't automatically upgrade your edition.  You’d need to convert to VUL’s for that to happen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

so if i use file share backup with my socket license on VBR V12, will it consume my license ?, as i know that, for using file share backup feature it will consume 1 instance for 500 GB on VUL license. how about socket license. will it do the same such as VUL license ?

I believe this will use the “complimentary instance licenses” included with your perpetual license.  You can give it a try...the worst that will happen is you’ll get an error stating it can’t be used because your license doesn’t allow.  In reference to my previous example, if using v12 standard, you can add an object-based repository and when setting up a direct-to-object backup or backup copy job, it’ll yell and you and tell you that you don’t have the proper licensing for direct-to-object.  For sure, NAS backup will not consume a socket license as that’s specific to virtual sockets - just unsure if it’ll allow the complementary instance to be consumed instead.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@dloseke i use enterprise license on perpetual type with detail as below :

4 socket Vmware (4 used)

4 socket Hyper V (4 used)

6 instance (1.5 used)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

So you might be able to backup 2TB of data because you have 4.5 instances remaining and each instance protects up to 500GB of data.  Again, not sure, but you can try it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@dika - I do a file share backup, but it’s just a folder tree backup, and it’s less than 4TB. If you use NAS Backup, it consumes “free” instances which come with your socket licenses, which appears to be 6 instances (and NAS is licensed at 500GB per instance = 3TB; see link just below).

It would be cheaper to just back up the VM it’s on...if your file shares are via a VM.

I found some more info on the forums, and here in the Guide on sockets and then how NAS consumes instances.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@coolsport00 will it be the same as VUL if we use NAS backup with socket license ? 500 GB per instance ?

ex : 

3TB = 6 instance (NAS Backup)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I believe that is correct; but, for just 3TB, I recommend just backing up the whole VM….unless there’s a need to do NAS/File share backups?

To be certain, I would reach out to your Veeam Account Rep, or contact Support just to make sure though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

VUL and Socket licenses will use the same instance count for NAS backup I believe.  At one point, a VUL instance could protect 250GB, but Veeam “right-sized” the licensing a bit and upped it to 500GB/instance.  The “complimentary” instances with socket licenses still protect 500GB/instance I believe.  But as Shane noted, I’d seriously consider just protecting the whole VM and consume one instance rather than using NAS backup if possible.  If it’s a physical server, protecting that server with with the Veeam agent would also only consume one instance.  But in reality, if available, protecting the VM at a whole at the VM level is probably going to be your best bet….again, if you have that capability.

Comment