V12 - Explorers Compatibility

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi guys,

a reminder for Service Providers like me who have VBO365 installation on the same VCC server: after upgrading to V12 it is necessary to reinstall Veeam Exlporers for Exchange, Sharepoint and Teams compatible with the installed version of VBO365.

To do this:

1) Open a cmd with administrative permissions

2) Pull up the list of installed programs with the command "wmic product list brief > C:\temp\installed.txt"

3) Uninstall the desired explorer with the command "msiexec /x {ProductCode}"

4) Once the three programs have been uninstalled, you can proceed with reinstalling the old Explorers.

You can find the executables by mounting the ISO of your version of VBO365 inside the "Explorers" folder.

Enjoy! 💚

18 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for these info @marco_s 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sharing this.  I will see how this goes when we start our v12 upgrades.  😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for sharing this.  I will see how this goes when we start our v12 upgrades.  😀

Per Mike Ressler, it’s still recommended to separate VBR and VBM365.  They can coexist for the most part, but that’s still the recommendation.  With that said, I’d probably recommend adhering to that advice and placing VBM365 on a separate server than the VCC.  Just sounds like trouble to me, and I don’t know that you’re really gaining anything from putting them on the same machine.  I’m still a strong believer of one role per server though I do have the VSPC and VCC on the same server in my environment - but it’s very small and intended to scale if needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Per Mike Ressler, it’s still recommended to separate VBR and VBM365.  They can coexist for the most part, but that’s still the recommendation.  With that said, I’d probably recommend adhering to that advice and placing VBM365 on a separate server than the VCC.  Just sounds like trouble to me, and I don’t know that you’re really gaining anything from putting them on the same machine.  I’m still a strong believer of one role per server though I do have the VSPC and VCC on the same server in my environment - but it’s very small and intended to scale if needed.

Yeah, that is how I architect things and new installs don’t get VBR/O365 on same server - just O365.  Some of our older installations though had this done (was not me and I took it over).

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@dloseke

If you want to allow a tenants to do self service restore of vb365 backup data from the service providers VB365 backup service, VB365 must be installed on the VCC server. The tenant will use his own VBR server to connect through cloud connect to the VB365 server installed on the service providers VCC server.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo365/guide/vbo_baas_sp.html?ver=60

But yes, for any other scenario please use different server. The VCC use case is the only one which makes it mandatory to use the same server :)

For self service restores I also recommend to checkout our VB365 restore portal.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@dloseke

If you want to allow a tenants to do self service restore of vb365 backup data from the service providers VB365 backup service, VB365 must be installed on the VCC server. The tenant will use his own VBR server to connect through cloud connect to the VB365 server installed on the service providers VCC server.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo365/guide/vbo_baas_sp.html?ver=60

But yes, for any other scenario please use different server. The VCC use case is the only one which makes it mandatory to use the same server :)

For self service restores I also recommend to checkout our VB365 restore portal.

Best,

Fabian

I need to do more looking at this.  My VBM365 deployment is the v7 Beta 1 build as this is my first real look at the product.  I’m evaluating it as part of a determination to migrate our clients from Barracuda Cloud-to-Cloud to VBM with Wasabi.  But it’s a lot of data flow when I host on-premise so I’m working through some thoughts on that.  Most of my clients already don’t have access for self-service, but I think it would make sense for a few of them, so it’s something I need to keep in mind.

That said, I’m confused by Mike’s post, but I have limited knowledge of this so far.  I’m probably wrong, but it sounds like there are two ways...one way is for the clients to access the SPC and perform a restore there, but that’s when VBM is on the same server as the VCC.  The other sounds like a portal within VBM in which case it does not need to be on the same server as VCC.

That said, I’m reading what you posted and and link for the configuration and it sounds pretty cool.  Are there any demo video’s for these configurations or lab environments where it can be played with?  I can set it up as well, but this is pretty new to me and my time for playing around is pretty short.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Derek,

as Fabian said, the only advantage of having them on the same server is for service providers, and only in the case where one of their VBO365 tenants has a VBR installation on prem: in that case the customer can configure in his VBR the connection to the service provider and take advantage of the Veeam Explorers to do restores with the more familiar and more feature-rich (for the time being) interface of the restore portal, which is potentially usable by everyone anyway. I have pursued this route for all three VCC installations, but it depends from case to case and the type of clients of course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thank you Marco

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi Derek,

as Fabian said, the only advantage of having them on the same server is for service providers, and only in the case where one of their VBO365 tenants has a VBR installation on prem: in that case the customer can configure in his VBR the connection to the service provider and take advantage of the Veeam Explorers to do restores with the more familiar and more feature-rich (for the time being) interface of the restore portal, which is potentially usable by everyone anyway. I have pursued this route for all three VCC installations, but it depends from case to case and the type of clients of course.

Thanks Marco.  I’ll have to look into this.   So as I understand it, if the client has VBR on Prem, but VBO is hosted by a service provider, they can use the Explorer for Exchange to connect to the hosted VBO deployment via the VCC connection?

If so, I right now have only one SPC with the VCC on the same server, but in the event of clustered VCC servers, they’d obviously be connecting to the cloud gateway and I’m assuming the gateway knows which VCC server to point you to for the VBO deployment?  I watched a few videos on the VBO Self-Service portal and that appears to not work well for a multi-tenant/Service Provider environment, but just trying to wrap my head around VBO hosting if I wanted to give clients self-service capabilties.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Derek,

yes, if VCC and VBO are  on the same server the client can use the explorer and connect via cloud gateway.

What do you mean with “clustered VCC servers”? Multiple VCC installations (different sites)? If yes, I have 3 VCC installations on 3 different sites, each installation has VCC + VBO.

Regarding VBO self-portal, it is completely separate from the previous statement, for example you can also use it with VBO standalone. It supports multitenancy for client logins, but you must have one for each VBO installation, also if you are using as Veeam Cloud Service Provider. In this case, however, you can play with proxy rules (I use Citrix ADC) to provide clients with a single point of access and drive redirects to the correct portal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

What do you mean with “clustered VCC servers”? Multiple VCC installations (different sites)? If yes, I have 3 VCC installations on 3 different sites, each installation has VCC + VBO.

Multiple VCC servers at the same site, all behind the same gateway server.  For instance, many of the diagrams suggest running the Service Provider Console on one server, and running VCC on separate servers all behind a gateway server.  In my case, I have all on one server because it’s a small deployment, but I built it with the intention that it can scale out if I need it to.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vac/deployment/architecture.html?ver=70

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I guess you cant use the same cloud gateways for different VCC..

Anyway, what is the use/advantage of having multiple VCC on the same site?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I guess you cant use the same cloud gateways for different VCC..

Anyway, what is the use/advantage of having multiple VCC on the same site?

Having multiple VCCs on the same site allows you to scale easily.  I work at a Service Provider, and we have this set up because once we reach a certain threshold on one VCC (number of Tenants, Agents, etc.) we then use the subsequent VCC servers for new tenants coming in as to not bog down the current one anymore.  Makes for expansion of the environment very easy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yeah, it makes sense..but I'm curious how many customers on a single VCC! :)

We personally have 3 datacenters and a VCC installation for each site, so as to give different location and hardware choices to customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, it makes sense..but I'm curious how many customers on a single VCC! :)

We personally have 3 datacenters and a VCC installation for each site, so as to give different location and hardware choices to customers.

I looked in the deployment guide, but I didn’t see any sort of quick rule/guide on when to scale out to more VCC servers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can think every VCC installation as a standalone architecture.

With VSPC you can manage all of them in a centralized way.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vac/deployment/connect_cloud_server.html?ver=70

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks for your information, @marco_s 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You’re welcome guys!

Comment