Solved

rotated repo retention

Userlevel 2
  • Comes here often
  • 8 comments

Hello, I am new to using Veeam and in my small laboratory I am testing rotating disks :

I have a retention policy of 21 and I have 3 disks (one per week) : If I understand correctly it would be 7 per disk 

The question is: if I use Forever Forward Incremental when the disk already has 7 points and I connect it again, will it merge the old incremental and save only full backup?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 24 October 2023, 14:02

View original

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If you select continue an existing backup chain at configuration repository, it will create a new full backup  file as start point for subsequent incremental backups , but it won’t merge the existing incremental.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/rotated_drives_hiw.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Srt93 - FFwd doesn’t merge all increments into a Full. How FFwd works is, at the end of however many Restore Points you have configured, Veeam creates an Incremental. Then, Veeam will merge the initial Full with the earliest Incremental and moves the backup chain forward by 1 to be compliant with the Restore Point setting.

Now, I’ve not used Rotated Drives in my environment personally, but as Cary shared from the link he provided, when you swap out a drive, a new Full is created and then subsequent Incrementals after it, until you swap your drive again. And, it repeats itself. That’s hard for me to picture how those drives work with Retention settings to be honest. What I recommend doing is just test it out with test data and notice the behavior to see if it’s what you want. At the very least, you can ping Veeam Support for clarification on how retention works in your job settings with Rotated Drives.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the replys

@coolsport00 Yes,Documentation in this regard is very little.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Srt93 - though I generally like Veeam’s Guide info, this area of the Guide is lacking needed detail.

Userlevel 2

@Srt93 - though I generally like Veeam’s Guide info, this area of the Guide is lacking needed detail.

and someone can confirm if this teory is true? I have my doubts

I have a retention policy of 21 and I have 3 disks (one per week) : If I understand correctly it would be 7 points  per disk 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

From the Guide info, that would be accurate. Again, since this is a lab you have, I would just test it to be sure. Will obviously take a while 3-4wks, but you’d know. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I believe they are not average to separate into the 3 disks (7 points per disk). as the Veeam document describes.

IMPORTANT

When you specify retention settings for a backup job or a backup copy job targeted at a backup repository with rotated drives, you must define the total number of restore points that you want to retain on all drives in the set. You can specify retention in days or restore points. For example, if you set retention to 14 restore points, the job will keep the total of 14 restore points across all drives.

Userlevel 2

I believe they are not average to separate into the 3 disks (7 points per disk). as the Veeam document describes.

IMPORTANT

When you specify retention settings for a backup job or a backup copy job targeted at a backup repository with rotated drives, you must define the total number of restore points that you want to retain on all drives in the set. You can specify retention in days or restore points. For example, if you set retention to 14 restore points, the job will keep the total of 14 restore points across all drives.

According to my understanding, this means that the 21 points are distributed AMONG the 3 disks, in this case, 7 points per disk 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Cary, though that is correct by what the Guide says, from how I’m reading it, and how he’d be swapping out his drives, I do believe he would have 7 restore points per disk. But, it doesn’t have to be 7 per disk. There would be 21 total Restore Points over the 3 disks. If he were to swap out a disk at day 5, or day 9, no...he wouldn’t have 7 per disk. He would have that many days of files based on how long the drive was available. Then when he places a new disk in he’d start with a new Full, then repeat. At least, that’s how I’m reading what the Guide says. Clear as mud 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Srt93 - yep..that’s how I’m reading it too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Srt93 You have the existing lab. Why don’t you just use your lab to test it?

You don’t need to configure 21 restore points, you configured 3 or more restore points to test it and to ensure the result. Also, don’t forget to share your results. 😁

Userlevel 2

@Srt93 You have the existing lab. Why don’t you just use your lab to test it?

You don’t need to configure 21 restore points, you configured 3 or more restore points to test it and to ensure the result. Also, don’t forget to share your results. 😁

Yes,on muy lab the retention policy is per disk ,so Each disc has 21  points 

Userlevel 2

Hi @Srt93 - for FFwd doesn’t merge all increments into a Full. How FFwd works is, at the end of however many Restore Points you have configured, Veeam creates an Incremental. Then, Veeam will merge the initial Full with the earliest Incremental and moves the backup chain forward by 1 to be compliant with the Restore Point setting.

Now, I’ve not used Rotated Drives in my environment personally, but as Cary shared from the link he provided, when you swap out a drive, a new Full is created and then subsequent Incrementals after it, until you swap your drive again. And, it repeats itself. That’s hard for me to picture how those drives work with Retention settings to be honest. What I recommend doing is just test it out with test data and notice the behavior to see if it’s what you want. At the very least, you can ping Veeam Support for clarification on how retention works in your job settings with Rotated Drives.

Contact technical support twice. Your instructions: With forever forward incremental, only one full is made per disk. When the shift cycle is closed it detects the Chain and another incremental will be created (larger size)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Srt93 - did my answer help in anyway? Did Support confirm what I shared? If so, please select a best answer so others can benefit from your post. Appreciate the dialog.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Srt93 -

I’m just following up here on your post for retention on rotated drives. Did any of the provided comments help? If so, could you mark one as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar question who come across your post may benefit?

Thank you.

Comment