Solved

Password Change using Manage Credential

• 21 August 2023
  • 3 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi! We just recently changed our service account password that we use for Veeam services. So I went into Credentials and Passwords > Datacenter Credentials > Manage Credentials and made the change there after changing the account password in AD. I know Veeam processed the password change because the proxy servers and repo servers went back to online after being offline after the change. However, after a couple of nights, all the backup jobs failed. Long story short, the Veeam services using the service account did not get change so the services had to be restarted.

What is Veeam’s behavior after a password change? I would tend to think that Veeam would at least pop a message stating that it is not changing the Veeam services credentials and this has to be done manually. What am I missing here? 

icon

Best answer by haslund 21 August 2023, 20:12

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

According to the gMSA part of the Guide here , you did exactly what you were supposed to and nothing further is required. The Guide doesn’t state what is done explicitly after the change. Something I was unaware of, according to Encryption Password part of the Guide here , VBR does not use the new password until after the next job run. But, if you’re using a credential for Guest Processing and tasks like that, you’re correct..nothing further “should” need to be done.

Personally, I quit using AAIP, etc. years ago because I was tired of all the warnings and/or errors I was getting. Maybe @haslund can share more on the process after the pwd change, if not someone else?

Otherwise, you could open a Support case to do so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@spider32: A clarifying question, it sounds like you’ve gone to the managed Windows servers and adjusted the ‘log on as’ account to an AD service account? Is that correct?

Our best practice is to let Veeam services run as ‘Local System account’.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks again for the quick replies.

Our VBR were set up using AD service accounts for more administrative control. We’ll work to move the services to use local accounts.

Appreciate your help re this issue.

Comment