Question

I encountered 'network path not found or invalid credentials supplied' using Veeam 11.0.1.1261

Userlevel 2

I encountered the above error when using a new Windows server. I'm certain that communication between servers is normal, and the ports are open. I've successfully added several servers of the same type without any error. And I've tried the following:

1. Disabling the firewall and antivirus software.
  2. Adding a new account with administrator privileges.
  3. Using the IP address instead of the DNS name.
  4. Checking the registry or services to ensure they don't affect the relevant services. However, this issue still persists.

My server is not within a domain, and this server is not a virtual machine

20 comments

Userlevel 2

I am unable to retrieve the logs for adding it, as I'm being prompted that the host cannot be found.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Have you added this physical server to the hosts file on your Veeam server? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is a good suggestion for your next test considering what you have done already.

Userlevel 2

Are you referring to this file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
Yes,i have added

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes,i have added

Ok. The credentials you are using are they in the format of - hostname\username?  You can also use - localhost\username too but try the first one.  Considering the error was credentials.

Userlevel 2

Yes,i have added

Ok. The credentials you are using are they in the format of - hostname\username?  You can also use - localhost\username too but try the first one.  Considering the error was credentials.

Thank you for you help.
No, because my server is not in a domain, I'm not using localhost\username. And I have several other servers with the same username and password, and they all work fine using the same credentials. Also, I have an SMB backup on this server that is accessible using this credentials, so I don't think this issue has anything to do with credentials.

Finally, I tried using localhost\username as you said, but it still prompted an error in the title.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes,i have added

Thank you for you help.
No, because my server is not in a domain, I'm not using localhost\username. And I have several other servers with the same username and password, and they all work fine using the same credentials. Also, I have an SMB backup on this server that is accessible using this credentials, so I don't think this issue has anything to do with credentials.

Finally, I tried using localhost\username as you said, but it still prompted an error in the title.

Using the credentials I suggested has nothing to do with a domain as it is local machine credentials. I would try computername\username and see 

Otherwise check the logs here or open a case.  Logs - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup

Userlevel 2

Yes,i have added

Thank you for you help.

Using the credentials I suggested has nothing to do with a domain as it is local machine credentials. I would try computername\username and see 

Otherwise check the logs here or open a case.  Logs - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup

I don't understand what you mean
I tried using localhost\username and still got an error
Which file in this folder do I need to use

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not localhost - use the actual computer name so if your server name is Server01 the you enter - server01\username

The file in that folder will be the name of the job but it sounds like a support case is you best bet here.

Userlevel 2

Not localhost - use the actual computer name so if your server name is Server01 the you enter - server01\username

The file in that folder will be the name of the job but it sounds like a support case is you best bet here.

I mistakenly chose this as the best answer
I understand what you mean
I made sure I used the server name and not the domain name

Userlevel 2

I will try to initiate case support, thanks for your answer

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hmm when you try to add an windows server as infrastructure server to veeam that is not part of the domain and you don’t connect using HOSTNAME/ADMINISTRATOR, and i mean the user with the SID -500 then you have to set this RegKey on Destination Machine.

LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy set to 1

HKEY\_LOCAL\_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Im not sure if this is your issue because you have a different error message. But you can double check.

Matze

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I mistakenly chose this as the best answer
I understand what you mean
I made sure I used the server name and not the domain name

@Madi.Cristil @safiya can one of you reset the Best answer on this please?  We’ll get it sorted out once the issue is resolved.

Userlevel 2

Hmm when you try to add an windows server as infrastructure server to veeam that is not part of the domain and you don’t connect using HOSTNAME/ADMINISTRATOR, and i mean the user with the SID -500 then you have to set this RegKey on Destination Machine.

Im not sure if this is your issue because you have a different error message. But you can double check.

Matze

I saw this solution in other answers, but there is no such key value in the registry of my other successfully backed up windows servers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Matze

I saw this solution in other answers, but there is no such key value in the registry of my other successfully backed up windows servers.

It is not always there by default and you can create it.

Userlevel 2

Matze

It is not always there by default and you can create it.

OK, I tried adding the registry key, but still got the same error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Time to continue with support at this point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@idontknowusewhatusername In the Network and Sharing Center, verify that it is not set for the public (or ensure it’s the same as the Veeam server).

Also, try to enable File and Printer Sharing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @idontknowusewhatusername -

I’m just following up on your post here. Did any of the provided comments help you be able to connect to your physical server? If so, can you mark which comment best helped you as ‘Best Answer’ so others who experience a similar issue as yours may benefit?

If not, did you reach out to Veeam Support? If they were able to help, can you share what they did to get your issue resolved?

Thank you.

The remote Hyper-V host is in a workgroup you need to use this Powershell command at the remote host.

Set-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "File And Printer Sharing" -Enabled True -Profile Any

Comment