Solved

How long do you wait to roll out a new version into production?


Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’m curious how long you all wait to update to the latest version, firmware, or software release in your production systems. 

 

For me, I would say I am on the early end of the spectrum, but I usually try and roll things out to TEST first if I can and verify for a few days. This doesn’t always work as there are times it won’t fully mirror PROD.

 

VMware is one I’ll try and wait a little bit due to some pretty significant issues in the past I have had with host failures.  Being extremely critical infrastructure downtime isn’t allowed AT ALL for us. 

 

Another thing I use to decide is the support I get. With Veeam, I have had so many good experiences I am confident they will resolve my issue.  I also tend to keep my config backups and having to reinstall once or twice it’s quite doable in a pinch. 

 

icon

Best answer by dloseke 8 September 2022, 21:09

View original

16 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

When it comes to Veeam I do testing in the lab with new versions first for upgrade, issues, etc.  Then anything that hooks in to Veeam that we have I get those departments to test.  Once everything is confirmed working and no big issues then I give the go ahead to roll it out to Production which is then scheduled with the respective teams and dates.

Usually it is at least a month or more before we upgrade things as we have been burned a couple times so I take things slower and with more caution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

We install the new version on a test server (lile the V12 Beta2 right now 😉) and do some non productive workloads with it.

We wait at least 4 weeks after GA date to upgrade our production servers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As @JMeixner , mostly not sooner than 4 weeks after GA. If there are any issues, there will be a patch or solution to it. Only for the VCC, I upgrade sooner, even before GA, because we have to be the first, before any tenant would upgrade 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Not right away, but I don’t think we really have a set standard either.  With Veeam, I will upgrade the lab without delay if I have the time.  Production is generally a couple of weeks.  Clients are the same way...a lot of it is when I can get to it though. I’m also a lot more confident with Veeam’s QA processes than that of VMware and Microsoft.

VMware updates….I’ve been bitten on those and tend to be pretty hesitant after the whole 7 U2 debacle.  But I feel a lot more confident with U3 and on new deployments or updates, I generally wait a week or two unless there’s some major exploit or something that’s pushing for a faster timeline on the upgrade.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

We are all pretty similar. 1 month for production is around the timeframe I use. Especially if I don’t have a test environment for a product. 

 

It used to be the first week, but with age comes wisdom and getting burnt a few times. Depending on security risk I may upgrade ASAP, but I prefer stability more than fancy new features and GUI’s. 

 

I also use how integrated the product is. If VMware decides to break, I am in a critical situation immediately.  If Veeam has an issue, support is good and our critical infrastructure will continue running.  Don’t get me wrong, backups are critical and VERY important to us, but the world can keep on functioning if a backup or backup window gets missed. 

 

I had VMware issues with U2 and U3. When the next version comes out I’ll stay a version behind this time. 

 

 

 

 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Never straight away but is also depends. 

If there was a critical security patch, then try to get it applied as soon as possible. Otherwise, wait about 4 weeks if performing major upgrade work. 

Also dependent on products. With Veeam, I am pretty confident that I will not run into major issues performing an upgrade soon after release. With VMware, a little more cautious. 

Userlevel 4

In my lab I install new versions right away (even beta’s), I’m an early adopter. Test and play with the new features to see what I’ll use in production. For production use I’m limited by our service provider where we replicate our DR environment to using Veeam replication. They are too slow in updating to the latest versions in my opinion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If we all wait about a month, and everyone else does too, does that not end up making us the early adopters in our production? hahaha   

 

I’m just kidding, but it’s ironic that if EVERYONE waits, we all end up being first. 

 

 

 

 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If we all wait about a month, and everyone else does too, does that not end up making us the early adopters in our production? hahaha   

 

I’m just kidding, but it’s ironic that if EVERYONE waits, we all end up being first.

We are waiting to install a new version in production only. But we test thoroughly on our test servers from day one on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

In my lab I install new versions right away (even beta’s), I’m an early adopter. Test and play with the new features to see what I’ll use in production. For production use I’m limited by our service provider where we replicate our DR environment to using Veeam replication. They are too slow in updating to the latest versions in my opinion.

 

I’m not afraid to upgrade in the lab.  That’s the whole point of the lab.  

Actually, what I find interesting is how many of us appear to actually have labs.  It’s generally few and far between, but it seems like most of us here actually do which might be saying something.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

In my lab I install new versions right away (even beta’s), I’m an early adopter. Test and play with the new features to see what I’ll use in production. For production use I’m limited by our service provider where we replicate our DR environment to using Veeam replication. They are too slow in updating to the latest versions in my opinion.

 

I’m not afraid to upgrade in the lab.  That’s the whole point of the lab.  

Actually, what I find interesting is how many of us appear to actually have labs.  It’s generally few and far between, but it seems like most of us here actually do which might be saying something.

I have both homelab and work lab where I do a bunch of testing before upgrading in PROD.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

In my lab I install new versions right away (even beta’s), I’m an early adopter. Test and play with the new features to see what I’ll use in production. For production use I’m limited by our service provider where we replicate our DR environment to using Veeam replication. They are too slow in updating to the latest versions in my opinion.

 

I’m not afraid to upgrade in the lab.  That’s the whole point of the lab.  

Actually, what I find interesting is how many of us appear to actually have labs.  It’s generally few and far between, but it seems like most of us here actually do which might be saying something.

The more my job takes of my time the smaller my lab gets. I now have a very vast production and test environment at the office. 

 

My lab still has some “test” aspects to it, but I treat my homelab more like Production of my house. haha. I’d rather break the test environment at work these days than my homelab as I have things running (home assistant, cameras, other servers) and I'll have to resolve the issues on my own time. 

 

That being said, One of the things I love about having the home lab is trying out things like early versions of software, getting into beta testing and being on the cutting edge of new features. 

 

I think it’s pretty common for VMware/Storage/Backup/network guys to have home labs, but a bit surprising how many don’t as well. At my office, maybe 2 of 30 have full blown servers running at home. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

We install the new version on a test server (lile the V12 Beta2 right now 😉) and do some non productive workloads with it.

We wait at least 4 weeks after GA date to upgrade our production servers.

Same as Joe, we can make an exception if there is a new feature needed asap. we haven't experienced any blocking bugs with Veeam for the past few years so we are less suspicious than for other software editor. We can say it’s worth it to wait new version when it be will “ready”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

We install the new version on a test server (lile the V12 Beta2 right now 😉) and do some non productive workloads with it.

We wait at least 4 weeks after GA date to upgrade our production servers.

Same as Joe, we can make an exception if there is a new feature needed asap. we haven't experienced any blocking bugs with Veeam for the past few years so we are less suspicious than for other software editor. We can say it’s worth it to wait new version when it be will “ready”.

 

Pretty similar for me.
But for new project we usually implement the last version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

We install the new version on a test server (lile the V12 Beta2 right now 😉) and do some non productive workloads with it.

We wait at least 4 weeks after GA date to upgrade our production servers.

Same as Joe, we can make an exception if there is a new feature needed asap. we haven't experienced any blocking bugs with Veeam for the past few years so we are less suspicious than for other software editor. We can say it’s worth it to wait new version when it be will “ready”.

I remember when 9.5 Update 4b had features needed but broke many things on us and was a nightmare release. 🤣

That is why I thoroughly test for a month before allowing upgrades to our PROD. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I have rolled out more quickly when I needed a feature available on the new versions.  But it’s an accepted risk at that point.

Comment