Solved

Database

Userlevel 2

Hi All,

This is my first post on this site.

I have been asked to backup a database on one of our servers before setting it up to be decommissioned. The DB needs to be retained for 40 years and before I can archive off the DB I need to ensure that we are able to access it. 

I am very  new to veeam and wondered if anyone knows how I can backup just the DB and not the VM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by it_software 17 April 2023, 16:08

View original

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You could use Veeam VBR or Veeam Agent to back up just the drives or folders that contain the database and log files.

My suggestion would be to use the actual built-in SQL backup tools to create a BAK file - maybe multiple files to save in different locations like a File Server then back up the File Server with Veeam to have a backup and you can also even back up file shares too where the files are.  This gives you multiple options for having a few backup copies and keeping them for the retention needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the database is a VM, wouldn’t it be better to backup the whole VM?

I think then the chance is greater that you can access the database in all these years. The db alone without the db software and a system to run on is useless, isn’t it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If the database is a VM, wouldn’t it be better to backup the whole VM?

I think then the chance is greater that you can access the database in all these years. The db alone without the db software and a system to run on is useless, isn’t it?

Yes, that would be the ideal solution to back up the entire VM, but I was answering based on the author’s question about not backing up the VM.  😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Personally, I would do both.  Not sure if you’d be able to import a SQL Database in 40 years (or in 20 years even), so I’d recommend backing up to a .bak file as Chris recommended, but would also recommend backing up the entire VM just in case.

Userlevel 2

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for posting the replies.

I believe the best solution is to backup the entire VM and the database. This is what I will  do.

Once again thanks for the information.

Regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I am glad that we could help you 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@it_software  I would add that where ever you are storing a copy of the backup, then also store a copy of the Veeam extract utility. This ensures you can extract the backup contents without the need to install Veeam itself. Who knows what may happen in 40 years time ...lol

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/extract_utility.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’d back up the entire VM. You can use Veeam extractor if you need to move the database to a new server at a later time. Much easier than just backing up the database, and the OS will not take up much space. 

I do the same thing for application servers, and if they have a database I’ll often store the backups together. 

For 40 years you may want to consider a backup copy to tape even, or some immutable object storage / cloud storage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I’d back up the entire VM. You can use Veeam extractor if you need to move the database to a new server at a later time. Much easier than just backing up the database, and the OS will not take up much space. 

I do the same thing for application servers, and if they have a database I’ll often store the backups together. 

For 40 years you may want to consider a backup copy to tape even, or some immutable object storage / cloud storage.

Yes, agree with saving to tape and immutable storage. Additionally, I’d include a guide on how to perform a recovery. Who knows what changes there will be in 40 years.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes, agree with saving to tape and immutable storage. Additionally, I’d include a guide on how to perform a recovery. Who knows what changes there will be in 40 years.

I am dealing with something like this right now. What OS will be available in 40 years? What hardware? etc.   Because of this, and having to be compliant, we have stacked up an ESXI server with the current version that an older windows OS runs on currently, along with the exported VM and have left the server powered off on a rack.  We no longer need the VM, but in 20 years if someone asks how to access the data, there is a way to power on the server in an isolated network and extract it. 

It’s for a very specific application that will not work on newer versions of windows so the options were to extract it all now, or get rid of it and keep it “just in case”

Documentation is key in these situations too. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I am dealing with something like this right now. What OS will be available in 40 years? What hardware? etc.   Because of this, and having to be compliant, we have stacked up an ESXI server with the current version that an older windows OS runs on currently, along with the exported VM and have left the server powered off on a rack.  We no longer need the VM, but in 20 years if someone asks how to access the data, there is a way to power on the server in an isolated network and extract it. 

It’s for a very specific application that will not work on newer versions of windows so the options were to extract it all now, or get rid of it and keep it “just in case”

Documentation is key in these situations too. 

I’m curious. Will you be powering it on periodically just to check it still works? Like checking if the spinning rust still spins up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’m curious. Will you be powering it on periodically just to check it still works? Like checking if the spinning rust still spins up. 

Personally I pushed the business to extract the data, even if it would have taken manpower and some time. In X amount of years, VMware will not support the OS, The vendor will not support the hardware, and networking is always changing too.

That being said, I could power up a really old PC or server from 20 years ago if I needed too,  but having the right tools, (floppy disks, old cables etc) to get the data is always another story.

As far as powering on, I said this would be a best case effort. So doubtful.

I do have an export of the VM on tape, and in all honesty I feel I could get it going on newer versions of VMware for the foreseeable future too.  There is no reason a DOS, 3.1 or Windows XP VM won’t power up, but, it’s not supported or recommended. 

I explained all these risks when they made this decision, If it was more critical I suggest they actually get the data onto supported software and hardware. It’s a very simple answer. 

If the data is critical, 3-2-1 rules MUST apply, hardware has to be on maintenance and software must have support/licenses. There are no exceptions to this rule. 

If there is, it’s obviously not that “Critical” 

Comment