New Platinum Backup Rule

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Everyone that knows me a little, knows that I’m a big fan of the 3-2-1-1-0 golden backup rule just like @Rick Vanover is also a big fan of this rule.

In every conversation with a customer I will discuss and clarify this topic.

For those who don’t know what the golden backup rule 3-2-1-1-0 means 😁, I wrote years ago a post of this topic it with more explanation (it pas my first post that achieved the weekly recap 🤗). Since then more followed...

More info : 3-2-1-1-0 Golden Backup Rule | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Well, in my opinion this golden backup rule is from now on not sufficient anymore and should be improved to a new rule!

Why?

Well, in version 12.1 of VBR there will be a lot of new functionalities regarding to detect ransomware, malware and detect suspicious activity in different ways.

Therefore the current 3-2-1-1-0 is not sufficient anymore and should be changed to the platinum backup rule 3-2-1-1-0-0 😁 !!!

So, there is an extra 0 being added and should stand for :

0 should be the result after malware detection, suspicious activity detection, ransomware detection and other new security functionalities now available and will come more in the future.

So to resume, the new platinum backup rule looks like : 

3 : Maintain at least 3 copies of your data

2 : Store the backups on 2 different media

1 : Store at least 1 of the copies at an offsite location

1 : Store at least 1 of the copies offline

0 : Be sure to have verified backups without errors

0 : Be sure to have scanned backups free of malware, ransomware and suspicious activity

The more you can secure your backups and implement new Veeam features as much as possible, the better you sleep 😴!

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great post Nico as we cannot forget Malware now and it will become easier in 12.1 when it is released.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Great reminder! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Nice add on. The SureBackup is easier to run and ensures backup without issues as well for v12.1. Love it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I joke that some day it will become a phone number, you are getting it closer to that @Nico Losschaert  :)

I like where you are going, I’d do a small twist:

3-2-1-2-0

2 : Have 2 or more copies that are ultra-resilient (air-gapped, Offline, Immutable or require 4-eyes recovery)

0 : Be sure to have verified backups without errors with recovery verification and free of malware.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I joke that some day it will become a phone number, you are getting it closer to that @Nico Losschaert  :)

I like where you are going, I’d do a small twist:

3-2-1-2-0

2 : Have 2 or more copies that are ultra-resilient (air-gapped, Offline, Immutable or require 4-eyes recovery)

0 : Be sure to have verified backups without errors with recovery verification and free of malware.

Thx @Rick Vanover  for your feedback and I like also your twist 😋

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@Nico Losschaert@Rick Vanover

3-2-1-1-0 or 3-2-1-1-0-0 or 3-2-1-2-0 or ...

I’ll just wait for the day that I can make it a prime number… 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So many numbers, but this is a great practice. The 0-0 at the end especially as backup testing is very important. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I really like this take @Nico Losschaert ! Sorry I missed your post earlier...was neck-deep in VMCE studies so just now getting around to this. Very well done, sir. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I will now add 3-2-1-2-0 + ZT 

The zero is not numerical and is in capitals for emphasis. ZT stands for Zero Trust. At the end of the day if someone can break in then boom! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

So many numbers, but this is a great practice. The 0-0 at the end especially as backup testing is very important. 

Thx @Scott 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I really like this take @Nico Losschaert ! Sorry I missed your post earlier...was neck-deep in VMCE studies so just now getting around to this. Very well done, sir. 😊

Thx @coolsport00 , no worries! I miss a lot unfortunatelly...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

This is a very good summary of the backup “law”, thank you @Nico Losschaert for sharing it here. 

Comment