Changing vCenter Name on Veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

How can we see here, vCenter IP/FQDN is not possible to change inside of Veeam B&R.

In my case I put the IP of vCenter server on Veeam Backup & Replication and now I’d like to change it to a hostname accordingly the DNS server name.

So, first of all we need to open the Console / PowerShell on burger menu of Veeam B&R.

So, at this moment we need type the command:

$Servers = Get-VBRServer -name "old-name-or-ip"

On my case the IP of my vCenter server is 192.168.10.100.

After that we just need type the following command:

$Servers.SetName("new-name-or-ip")

On my scenario it is ROM2SRVVLVC01.

And now, with this two only commands we can see that the vCenter name was changed on Veeam Backup & Replication:

To finish I just rescan the vCenter server again to see all the set up is ok.

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Nice description. This is very useful for me, as the backup servers are often setup before services like DNS are available. Up to now I kept the IP in VBR, but it is nice to be able to change it to the DNS Name afterwards. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

A great tip that usually no one realizes can be done.  Used this many times to change the VC name as we upgraded our infrastructure DCs and named the vCenter differently.  Now vCloud is another story and that one is SQL DB stuff. :smile:

Userlevel 4
Badge

Great tip “wolff”! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup_tone2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice description. This is very useful for me, as the backup servers are often setup before services like DNS are available. Up to now I kept the IP in VBR, but it is nice to be able to change it to the DNS Name afterwards. :sunglasses:

Exactly @JMeixner

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Great tip @wolff.mateus ! Didn’t know this!

I guess this just works when the vCenter is the same. Right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Great tip @wolff.mateus ! Didn’t know this!

I guess this just works when the vCenter is the same. Right?

Yeah @vNote42! It just works with the same database of vCenter. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I didn’t know that either; that’s well hidden...thanks, @wolff.mateus 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks

Comment