Solved

Why is the B&R console installed by default on a new B&R Server in v12?

Userlevel 3

Curious as to why by default is the B&R console installed along with a new B&R server install in v12?

Security best practices say to run the console on a separate stand alone computer, using a local credentials, and on a separate network or VLAN.

This being the case one would think that there would be an option during the install process to include the console or not. 

I ask, because I am inherently lazy and would rather watch dog videos than go through the hassle of removing the console from the server. Also best practices should be easy to implement so all admins implement them.

icon

Best answer by CarySun 17 April 2024, 18:26

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

By default it is included unfortunately, but this would be something to put in to the Forums as a suggested enhancement for a future release - http://forums.veeam.com.  The only way around is doing what you are doing at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @PDXdoug - your best bet would be to post this in the Forum & suggest it to Product Managers. I agree...having an option to not install the Console would be a good thing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

There are some limitations when you are using the console from a remote. I think that’s why.

Veeam recommends disabling the RDP function or enabling MFA for it.

Limitations for Backup & Replication Console

The Veeam Backup & Replication console has the following limitations:

• You cannot perform restore from the configuration backup using the remote console.
  • The machines on which the remote console is installed are not added to the list of managed servers automatically. For this reason, you cannot perform some operations, for example, import backup files that reside on the remote console machine or assign roles of backup infrastructure components to this machine. To perform these operations, you must add the remote console machine as a managed server to Veeam Backup & Replication. For more information, see Managing Servers.

The details are below the link.

Backup & Replication Console - User Guide for Microsoft Hyper-V (veeam.com)

Userlevel 3

Hi @CarySun ,

Those are valid points, but how often do I find myself importing or restoring a backup configuration file?

In my environment it’s just when I build a new backup server, or migrate to a new one. So not very often.

Personally I feel the security benefits of making the console install an option, even with it’s limitations, outweigh the convenience of a default console install.

Hopefully we run across each other at VeeamON 2024 to discuss in detail.

Thanks!

• Doug

Comment