VMCE Practice Question - 17 April 2024

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As promised, here is the 1st new v12 VMCE practice question:

You just created a few new virtual machines in vCenter Server. The new VMs have 2 disks each, one disk for OS and one for Data. Before integrating them in your backup environment, you want to do a test backup of at least one VM to make sure they all backup successfully. The backup job of the VM was successful, but you notice a warning in the Backup Job window. What reasons would cause Veeam to throw the below warning message?

Veeam Backup Warning
  1. The VM disk size is above 2TB
  2. Veeam doesn't support Data disks
  3. The virtual disk is an independent disk
  4. The virtual disk is thin provisioned

14 comments

Userlevel 1

In my opinion, Option 3 is the correct answer. VMware doesn't support snapshot of independent disks hence Veeam skips it..

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’d try with:

1. The virtual disk is an independent disk

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Answer = 3 -- Independent Disk 😉

I would also go with 3… Thin provisioned is supported, 2TB was an old limit, and veeam absolutely supports ‘data disks’ just like ‘no data disks’ lol.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Option 3

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Same for me answer 3.

Step before error tell about “retrieving Hard disk 1 from storage snapshot”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The answer, link, and bonus question will come tomorrow… 😉

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I would also go with 3… Thin provisioned is supported, 2TB was an old limit, and veeam absolutely supports ‘data disks’ just like ‘no data disks’ lol.

Wasnt this also a vSAN limit ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok folks. As promised, the answer……

It is indeed #3. Well done! 

Note about the above - this disk type CAN be backed up, but an Agent must be used; this is not supported via Host-based (image) backups

BONUS QUESTION:

What other disk types are not supported for Host backups? _________________ , ________________

Below is the link for the information. Try answering the Bonus question before reviewing the link though. 😊
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/platform_support.html?ver=120#vms

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The other ones that are not supported are - RDM and multi-writer disks (shared disks). 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

We used to use RDM but got rid of those and we do have multi-writer disks in our NFS Clusters for vCloud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The other ones that are not supported are - RDM and multi-writer disks (shared disks). 😎

This is ½ true - specifically, RDM in physical mode 😊 Virtual Mode is supported

Well done! 🙌🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is ½ true - specifically, RDM in physical mode 😊 Virtual Mode is supported

Well done! 🙌🏻

Yeah I was referring to physical mode for RDM but better with the clarity on that.  😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I know you did...but for the sake of specificity, thought I’d make it clear for the others 😉

Comment