Enforce Backup Job Basic Retention

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Here’s a sample PowerShell script to enforce Restore Point configuration for both VMware Backup Jobs & vCloud Backup Jobs. The script retrieves the job’s current retention setting (Restore Points), compares it against the standard defined in a CSV file, and adjusts the configuration where needed. For more detailed information, please follow the VeeamHub link:

https://github.com/VeeamHub/powershell/tree/master/BR-EnforceJobRetention

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Another great script to add to my collection.  Will give this one a go soon. @Geoff Burke 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Chris.Arceneaux : Great one, Thanks for the update, Keep sharing !

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Cool script @Chris.Arceneaux , thanks for sharing! When I understand the script right, it enables you to inject new number of restore points for VBR/Cloud jobs.

… as I read the headline, I thought it enables you to enforce current restore point number to the repositories. Should mean: reduce number of actual restore points to the number in definition, without running a backup.

If you write such a script too, then i volunteer to be a beta tester :sunglasses:

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@vNote42 I think my definition was sufficient:

This script looks for both VMware Backup Jobs & vCloud Backup Jobs, retrieves their current retention setting (Restore Points), compares the retention against the published standard (joblist.csv), and adjusts the configuration where needed.

Script allows you to do as mentioned which is enforce the number of restore points for each job. The workflow is pretty simple:

• if (Job RP count == Configured RP count)
    • No changes are made
  • else
    • Job configuration is updated to match Configured RP count
Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@vNote42 I think my definition was sufficient:

This script looks for both VMware Backup Jobs & vCloud Backup Jobs, retrieves their current retention setting (Restore Points), compares the retention against the published standard (joblist.csv), and adjusts the configuration where needed.

Script allows you to do as mentioned which is enforce the number of restore points for each job. The workflow is pretty simple:

• if (Job RP count == Configured RP count)
    • No changes are made
  • else
    • Job configuration is updated to match Configured RP count

Thanks Chris! By just reading the headline I thought it would do something different. Your description was in no uncertain manner! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Another great script to add to my collection.  Will give this one a go soon. @Geoff Burke 

@Chris.Childerhose definitely! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Cool script, thanks @Chris.Arceneaux 

Comment