Skip to main content

Hi Everyone,

The Kasten A to Z series continues, our goals is to have a place where someone can go from start to finish in their Kubernetes backup journey.

Why would you want to start this journey in the first place? The use of containerized workloads is on the rise and all predictions point to Kubernetes gaining more and more traction in the years to come. Where there are workloads there need to be backups, and where there are backups there need to be skilled data protection professionals!

I think this would work well as lyrics to a song:

K10 A to Z why not Oobti? 

Anyways, I think I missed the boat on my rock and roll career, just by a tad.

Follow along and sing the data resilience song !

Zero Trust is a Must or else your workloads will go bust!

So why is this a special day? Well because for all on premises Kubernetes workloads this is one way to keep your data safe. 

SNAPSHOTS ARE NOT BACKUPS

Remember what your parents said about VMware back in the day? Snapshots are not backups! Fast forward to the future and that same rule will apply. You need to export those local Kubernetes CSI snapshots off of the local cluster. 

Kasten will allow us to do this to a local OOTBI and we can setup another policy to go to the cloud and follow the 3 2 1 rule as well. Today we will talk about OOTBI!

Today we are adding Ootbi as a location profile in Kasten:

First we will create a new bucket:

Create Bucket

k10ootbi
done​​​​​

Next we will create a separate Access Key and Secret Key. Remember to record the secret key or just copy it one off. It will only be displayed once.

Keys
you need to enter your password
I erased my secret key but you can see where it would be

Now let’s head over to Kasten and create a location profile:

I already have another Ootbi there but will add this one as well:

One Ootbi already present

Plugin your information

Next we will enable immutability:

Complete
Buckets

Now we will setup Kasten DR to point to this Ootbi bucket:

DR