Solved

K10 and restoration of kubevirt virtualmachine

Userlevel 2

Hello, 

I have installed k10 and Kubevirt. The backup of a namepasce is running just fine : 

But when I try to restore it, I have an error : 

If you look at the details : 

You can see it does not recognize  a ‘k8sType’ ‘virtualmachine’ which is a CRD. 

Did I miss something during configuration ? 

Regards, 

icon

Best answer by FRubens 7 June 2023, 10:17

View original

8 comments

Hi @flpajany 

K10 supports Kubervirt only in the context of OpenShift Virtualisation. Others implementation of KubeVirt are not officially supported, or even tested internally. Have you installed KubeVirt on a K8s Vanilla distribution?

Userlevel 2

Indeed, I have installed Kubevirt on K8S vanilla (via kubeadm). But since, Openshift virtualization is based on Kubevirt, I believed K10 could be used to backup it directly. 

So I understand it is not the case ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello @flpajany ,

Indeed kubevirt is officially supported in the context of OpenShift Virtualisation, not tested/supported on others implementations of kubevirt for now.

Saying that, I would like to know a few details please, which K10 version are you testing, I would recommend 5.5.3+.

Have you tried to restore in a new namespace or original namespace ?

If the first option is the case, could you please try to restore in a new namespace and see if you get the same issue.

Userlevel 2

I tried to restore the original namespace. 

OK I’ll try to restore in a new namespace and will be back to you. 

Thank you

Userlevel 2

It worked @FRubens !

Do you know why I can’t restore in the same namespace ? Do I have to erase the ns everytime I need to restore it ?

Thank you for your help :-)

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Glad to know  @flpajany 

Since we have not tested outside OCP, hard to tell the cause, but I would guess it could be while trying to delete/overwrite the original VM, I would recommend deleting the VM before restoring to the same namespace.

Hope it helps.

Userlevel 2

You were right about your guess. I deleted the VM in the original namespace and launch a restoration. 

It worked just fine !

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I did not realize that this might work with kubevirt outside of Openshift 😃. I might give this a try too.

Comment