Solved

Error in exporting backup to multiple location (minIO and Veeam Backup Repository)

Userlevel 3

Hello,

I’m testing Kasten 4.5.8 on a RKE environment 1.21.9 , during the execution of a policy with a Kanister action (PostgreSQL logical backup) if i try to export the backup to both Veeam Backup repository and minIO, i get this error:

Job failed to be executed

Failed to copy artifacts

Failed to get or add Repository artifact

[POST /artifacts:getOrAdd][400] getOrAddArtifactBadRequest &{Message:Bad Request. Cause: Invalid Artifact: Repository Location store must be set.}

If i run the backup policy with only minIO as target, everything works as expected, 

Instead if i try to run the policy adding the Veeam Backup Repository, i get the error as above.

as the same, if I delete the Blueprint and I try to export the backup to both minIO and Veeam backup repository, everything works as expected.

I’m wondering if Kasten is trying to upload the Kanister artifact on the Veeam Backup Repository,

If true, it seems very strange by the moment we have defined a minIO object storage for the Kanister action.

icon

Best answer by FRubens 16 March 2022, 13:36

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi 

I think export to a vbr repo is only supported for vsphere csi at the present time.

cheers

Userlevel 3

Many thanks for replying Geoff, 

I’m currently using the CSI driver, but I don’t know why kasten is trying to export also the kanister artifact to the veeam backup repository

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

HI Claudionw94,

Ah ok I see, so you defined for Kanniter (which the is for the blueprint for PostgreSQL integrity) the Minio S3 only, but you are seeing Kasten attempt to export to both the VBR and MInio?

cheers

Userlevel 3

Hi Geoff,

in the kasten policy I have selected the minIO profile for the Kanister Actions but when I execute the policy I get the error above.
I think that kasten is trying to export the kanister artifact both to minIO and VBR because, as written above, if I delete the PostgreSQL blueprint or equally if I don't delete it but I remove the export to VBR everything works fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Geoff,

in the kasten policy I have selected the minIO profile for the Kanister Actions but when I execute the policy I get the error above.
I think that kasten is trying to export the kanister artifact both to minIO and VBR because, as written above, if I delete the PostgreSQL blueprint or equally if I don't delete it but I remove the export to VBR everything works fine.

ok this seems like a support case thing. Out of interest try a kubectl describe command on the cli or get the yaml for the policy, I think something like this 

kubectl describe policies.config.kio.kasten.io

or 

kubectl get policies.config.kio.kasten.io …. -oyaml >policy.yaml

cheers

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello Claudio,

Using MinIO as a profile for kanister action is only applicable for backupAction, Export will still uses the location profile under export (in this case VBR) that is set up in the policy form, so backup pushes the kanister artifact to MinIO however export will fail when it pushes to VBR, that means using VBR as a profile for blueprint based backups is unsupported for now on K10.

I am working to update our documentation informing this and also internally we will be working with engineering team to address this for future releases.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards

Fernando R.

Comment