Skip to main content

Hello Team,

I just finished setting up Veeam backup community edition 12.2 and added Proxmox VE server into Veeam backup.  Now, I tried to configure “worker”, but it was failed.  I used DHCP and set static IP address.  The error I got was “Failed to obtain an IP address: The operation timeout exceeded” and “Worker xxxx(hostname) test failed.  I am not sure if worker name should be registered in DNS record, or it should be any hostname which doesn’t exist in DNS?  I tried to both of them, but I still have no luck.

Also, the worker host seemed to be created on Proxmox VE server.  I can see this and I can ping this from Veeam backup host (Windows 11 PC).  

I appreciate for you help!!

Hi @bravo444 

Welcome to the Community!

I’m not too familiar with the implementation of Proxmox, as yet. Hoping to give it a try soon.

However, I came across this that might help:

Might be worth having a look. 

Additionally, do you have a firewall that could be blocking connections?

Hi dips, 

Thanks for your quick response!  I double checked with firewall, but it should be no problem since the worker host was added in Proxmox VE server successfully.  

Regards,

No problem :)

Have you checked here if your device meets requirements?

Also, I would try re-adding it again and see if that makes any difference. 

I followed an article that you mentioned as above, but I have no luck.

Yes, I checked for requirements and all of them seem to be no problem.  I tried to add and remove the Proxmox server over and over and also tried to configure worker, but none of them have any clues.

I would like to know if “worker” name should have already been exist in the DNS record or not.

Well, I tried to put worker name which exist in DNS and doesn’t exist.  None of them works…

I completey get stuck here…

Regards,

Sorry, I am not able to help any further. 

It might be worth opening a case with Support in the meantime. Additionally, someone might jump in and assist as well when they see this. 

No problem dips and thank you!!

In addition, I found that an article mentioned about “Proxmox Plug-in” setup.  Do I need to install plug-in?  If so, where can I get it?  I just installed Veeam backup and replication software and I didn’t get any plug-in setup window.

Regards,

It should be part of the installation process. However, it should be on the ISO you download. Let me take a look. 

Have a look in this location:

Thank you for your information!  I tried to install these 3 plugin, but all of them have already been installed.  So I think that the plugins should be OK…

Regards,

Welcome @bravo444 

I would recommend working with Veeam Support

Hi dips, 

I am using community edition and I will need to pay for support right?

I am not sure if I can get Veeam support for free or not.

Hey @bravo444 

You can get support for the Community Edition but it will be on a best-case basis so they may not be able to assist straight-away.

Wonder if @regnor has seen this before?

Hi dips,

Do you know where I can get support?  Please let me know about URL for this?

Appreciate it!!

Regards,

Here you go: https://www.veeam.com/support.html

Hello,

I found that the root cause was router setting.  The port 19000 was opened and then the issue was fixed.  However, I got following problem.

“Failed to connect to the worker core service.  Failed to connect to the bakcup appliance.”

I got some log files, but I am not sure which one should be for this error.  

Anyway, I will post this issue as new one.

Hi @bravo444! Please check this helpcenter article regarding the firewall ports necessary for Proxmox backup. 

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbproxmoxve/userguide/used_ports.html?ver=1

If you need support, you can open a case at https://my.veeam.com/

Good news!  Finally, I found the root cause and worker was tested successfully!

I apologize that I forgot to restart named service after I added worker hostname in DNS.

After rebooting, the issue was fixed.

I would like to thank you so much for your quick help and resopond!

Regards,

Hi bravo444,
yesterday I have installed Veeam B&R at an environment and get the same issuse:
“...Failed to connect to the worker core service...”

After searching for an solution I found this contribution.

I try to setup DNS settings like you but this wasn´t the solution.

After long trying and reading the log files I see an entry at “C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\Plugins\PVE\workers\worker...\worker_....zip\veeam_backup\test_connection_service\vmb_api\library.log”

There were lines like: “vmbcli   | Register backup server a169.254.245.196]:210006] Failed.”

I have 4 NICs at this server and only the first one was connected. The others where not connectd but “active”.

I deactivate them and … tada … it works. 

Mybe some others found this while searching for this issue and my contribution would help.

Had this same issue. First step was setting a static IP for the worker but this only slightly improved the issue (at best 2 of 3 VM’s would backup).

After a bit of troubleshooting I found that changing the Bond mode in ProxMox network settings from balance-rr to LACP (802.3ad) resolved the issue.

Comment