Windows Server 2025 and Veeam B&R

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
  • Veeam Legend
  • 711 comments

In case you missed the annoucement, Microsoft have released more information on their upcoming server version called, Windows Server 2025.

More info here:

If you want to give it a try, the Canary version can be downloaded after joining the Insiders Preview:

Anyway, I thought I would try it out and trying installing Veeam B&R on it. I mean, why not? New server OS, and the first thing to go on there is Veeam? Let’s do it.

Long story short, it was plain sailing and Veeam B&R installed successfully.

Confimation screen of Veeam Backup & Replication 12.1 being installed successfully

Veeam B&R Console with no jobs configured

Usual caveats apply if you are going to be testing it out on Server 2025.

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah, saw them announce this version of Windows Server last week.  Going to download and start doing some initial testing but good to hear that Veeam “works” on it.  😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Nice! It is good to know that VBR12.1 works with Windows Server 2025. I mean, install successfully, at least. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Think I’ll download and place in a VM and browse around a bit. Some previews I saw resembled Win 11 UI. Meh to that imo. 

Thanks for the info @dips 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thank you for sharing @dips , interesting news and technical scout tests!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

No worries. If I get more time, I will try and test and see what happens when taking backups. Will be interesting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for posting this.  I’ve heard that there’s new Hyper-V features, so I had considered setting up a 2025 Hyper-V server and seeing if Veeam will protect those VM’s out of the box.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

One thing to note is that Veeam does not back up Windows 2025 when App Aware is enabled.  I have all my DCs upgraded to 2025 now to fix some odd things in AD but they are not being backed up via App Aware now.  Just a caveat for those testing.

Error you see is this which does not make sense either -

I tested installing the Transport service as noted but does not help.  Might need to make these Agent backups now to fix this.  😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just an FYI here - if you use Agent backups you can do App Aware processing for Win2025.  😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just an FYI here - if you use Agent backups you can do App Aware processing for Win2025.  😉

Cool find, I’m just about to do some 2025 testing myself

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Cool find, I’m just about to do some 2025 testing myself

Yeah mine have worked well since deploying the Windows agent since native backup throws that error I posted.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Have you encountered any problems while continuing to use it? @dips 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you encountered any problems while continuing to use it? @dips 

If you plan to use 2025 with VBR to back up servers then you need to look at the Agent for now for App Aware backups but if not you can use VBR.  Application aware does not work in VBR as noted by my post above due to unsupported OS currently.

Userlevel 4
Badge

If you plan to use 2025 with VBR to back up servers then you need to look at the Agent for now for App Aware backups but if not you can use VBR.  Application aware does not work in VBR as noted by my post above due to unsupported OS currently.

Thank u for info Chris. I'm looking forward to using Veeam's future new features in WS2025 in the future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I’ve not encountered any issues. As @Chris.Childerhose mentioned if you need App Aware, go with the Agent route. 
What’s your workload looking like?

Comment