Skip to main content
Solved

Windows and Linux Repository

Hello,

Next year i will buy dedicated BareMetal server for VBR, tape drive and Azure HCI node for hypervisor.

Currently i propose install VBR on BareMetal server and use local hdd as repository and as tape server also.

Also i have another thought to install linux on the BareMetal and install VBR on the VM inside Azure HCI. But with this scenario, can i use that linux server as tape server also?

Which two scenario above is best and whether anyone here have another best scenario also?

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @hs08 -

I've not used Azure HCI so I really can't comment on using it. Nor do I use tape. 🤷🏼‍♂️ But, your proposed solution of installing VBR in a VM and using the server with Linux for Tape Server is the route I'd choose. Yes, you can use Linux for the Tape Server now, as shown in the User Guide:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/system_requirements.html?ver=120#tape-server

I would personally keep your Repo a separate component than using the default with VBR. Although, if you have a small backup environment (around 40-50 VMs maybe), having the server loaded with storage and using it locally as your Repo would work pretty well.

I think it's really your choice what would work best for you. 

Userlevel 4

Hey @hs08 ,

Like @coolsport00 I don’t use tape nor am I familiar with Azure HCI, but unlike @coolsport00 I like your first solution a little better as it seems simpler than managing a Linux box and an Azure VM.

Depending upon your environment size run VBR on the bare metal server and use either internal, or some type of DAS or iSCSI for local storage. To obtain immutability on this local storage look into Blocky for Veeam https://blockyforveeam.com/ as this eliminates the need for a second Linux box for immutability. 

Have another secondary backup to tape run off the bare metal server (just make sure you purchase a server with enough performance) and finally to cover our 3-2-1-1 rule send another secondary backup copy to some type of inexpensive cloud storage. Since you already are into Azure maybe a blob storage account there?

Granted, this is sort of an eggs in one basket approach, and if your VBR bare metal server is compromised or has a hardware failure (very rare these days IMHO) you probably won’t be happy.

On the other hand it is simple, very effective, and covers all the bases. 

Just make sure your VBR configuration is backup up daily in multiple, easily accessible locations.

This may have been written before my morning coffee in my defense 😀

Userlevel 4
Badge

You can operate the VBR server very well as a VM. I would choose this way. This way you also have the option of replicating the VBR to a second location at any time.

You can install the repository with Linux and also connect the tape library as @coolsport00  described, but only if it is not a Veeam hardened repository.
In addition to the repository role, a Veeam Hardened Repository can only act as an NBD proxy. 
This means that you cannot also use it as a tape server.

You can read more about this here in the note.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/hardened_repository.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @hs08 -

I’m just following up on your post here. Did you have any further questions? If so, please don’t hesitate to ask. But if any of the provided comments helped you out, we ask you mark which one best helped you as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a simliar question who come across your post may benefit.

Thank you.

Comment