Windows 11 Veeam Agent 5.0.0.4301

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I know this might be a superfluous post, but I write it anyway because I know that someone will do a google search about it.

Windows 11 is out today (and if you are an IT you doesn’t install it today definitely in some production device, aren’t you?)

Anyway Veeam Agent for Windows 5.0.0.4301 has issue with it, and it’s not supported.

So.

Please.

Wait.

As @MicoolPaul said:

You want v11a which currently has “Windows 11 readiness” based on pre-release, still not officially supported of course! But v11a includes 5.0.1 :grinning:

KB4215: Release Information for Veeam Backup & Replication 11a

50 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Morning!

You want v11a which currently has “Windows 11 readiness” based on pre-release, still not officially supported of course! But v11a includes 5.0.1 :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

That is to expect.

The new Agent version with Veeam V11a needs to be tested against Windows 11 first. After that, veeam needs to decide if a new build is needed for windows 11 or not.

From the KB article to V11a:

• Microsoft Windows 11 readiness based on the pre-release build. The official support will require full regression testing of the GA build when it becomes available. This article will be updated with a support statement afterwards.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

First rule:
Never install a product in the first weeks after GA on production devices! :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yeah yeah, I hope my post will help anyone who was in the process of updating. :)

Of course, must wait for update 11a.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

First rule:
Never install a product in the first weeks after GA on production devices! :sunglasses:

First week? You're brave!
I usually wait at least 3 months. :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Morning!

Added your post as reference :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

First rule:

First week? You're brave!
I usually wait at least 3 months. :grin:

I have said “weeks”, not week :sunglasses:

One week is too less time to get rid of the first problems….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The question is, can your machine run Windows 11 to even install it?

My test lab and personal PC are all too old apparently (Intel Haswell / 4th Gen) and only my work device is “new enough” to run it! So I won’t be getting to play with it too soon, unless I spin up an Azure VM… Might be the safest bet!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

My test lab and personal PC are all too old apparently (Intel Haswell / 4th Gen) and only my work device is “new enough” to run it! So I won’t be getting to play with it too soon, unless I spin up an Azure VM… Might be the safest bet!

That is what I did to test in my homelab and used the Dev channel build. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

My home lab CPUs still don’t meet the spec as they’re 5th gen! :weary: I know you could ignore this restriction early in the beta, but now it’s GA it isn’t supported and they’ve been blocking updates for these installations etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

My home lab CPUs still don’t meet the spec as they’re 5th gen! :weary: I know you could ignore this restriction early in the beta, but now it’s GA it isn’t supported and they’ve been blocking updates for these installations etc.

Yeah I almost got blocked until I added a TPM 2.0 device to my VM.  Then was able to continue on.  The CPUs I have are 6600HQ in my Intel NUCs and I don’t think they are on the list either but you can cheat with the TPM in VMware. :grin:

Userlevel 4

Veeam backup and replication 11a 11.0.1.1261 does not work with Windows 11. 

I am using Veeam backup and replication 11.0.1.1261 on a Windows Domain Network. 

I have been testing Windows 11 and had no problems with the new OS itself. However Veeam does not support it. On the windows 10 workstations I upgraded to windows 11 the PC backs up with warning messages. On the workstations that I did a fresh installs of Windows 11 the agent wont install at all. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Veeam backup and replication 11a 11.0.1.1261 does not work with Windows 11. 

I am using Veeam backup and replication 11.0.1.1261 on a Windows Domain Network. 

I have been testing Windows 11 and had no problems with the new OS itself. However Veeam does not support it. On the windows 10 workstations I upgraded to windows 11 the PC backs up with warning messages. On the workstations that I did a fresh installs of Windows 11 the agent wont install at all. 

VBR or the Agent?  If the agent you need to update it to the 5.0.1 version.

Userlevel 4

Is there a way to intergrade the 5.0.1 agent into Veeam backup and replication?

I have always used backup and replication to install the agents on the workstations, these are not stand alone PCs, they backup to the repository on the Veeam backup and replication server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is there a way to intergrade the 5.0.1 agent into Veeam backup and replication?

I have always used backup and replication to install the agents on the workstations, these are not stand alone PCs, they backup to the repository on the Veeam backup and replication server.

If you have updated to 11a it should be there already just check if the agents need an update from the console.

Userlevel 4

Let me search on how to do that as there is nothing I have ever seen in the console that says anything about the agents or updating the agents.

and yes I updated to 11a and then even updated again did the repair. and still having the issue with Windows 11, that's why I got on the this forum. 

Userlevel 4

I dont see anything in VBR that says update anything. 

Userlevel 4

I guess I will have to wait till you upgrade the VBR version. I will tell my clients to hold off on windows 11 for a while because the Backup software wont support it.

Thanks, John

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You find the upgrade section here, if you are on VBR 11a.

You need to rescan the protection group or run at least one backup job, before they show up as Out dated.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/agents/protected_computers_upgrade.html?ver=110

Userlevel 4

Thanks, I am not seeing that on my home lab, But I am running the community version here.

I have been doing IT for 32 years and I like Veeam because it just works, but the user interface is defiantly not user friendly at all.

Userlevel 4

No update there on my clients enterprise version either. So again how would I update the agents? there is no way to update anything and I am running the latest version and its not working for Windows 11 clients.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It works for me.

i see dozens of out dated agents in one of my ent plus environments.

Do you have protection groups to manage the agents (managed by backup servers) or are you install and handle them manually (managed by agent)?

Userlevel 4

Windows 10 Workstations are in a protection group, Like I said I cant add the Windows 11 Workstations. Does the VBR server check for updates once a week/month? there seams to be know way to tell it to check, or to update it, crazy. Like I said I like Veeam because it works well...But the interface needs a ton of work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Johnnyz Agent version is 5.0.1.4584, can you confirm?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Windows 10 Workstations are in a protection group, Like I said I cant add the Windows 11 Workstations. Does the VBR server check for updates once a week/month? there seams to be know way to tell it to check, or to update it, crazy. Like I said I like Veeam because it works well...But the interface needs a ton of work.

If you cannot add them just download the agent from the portal and upgrade them.  Then try adding them to the console. Hopefully after this they will add.

If you go to the properties of the protection group you can see when Veeam scans and if auto-update is turned on.

Comment