Where to blog?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

After a hiatus of wild IT academia activity and other events I want to get back to doing some posts. I am thinking of setting up a separate blog and then linking on to here like I noticed some people do. Looking for any recommendations on where to host my blog from the experts here? Thanks Geoff

73 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The return of the Notorious KGG :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wordpress I think is the most popular.  I have mine on that but hosted elsewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can go with Wordpress or Blogger !

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Medium is highly used in IT reviews and blogging too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Geoff 🙂

I use Wordpress.com because as much as it can be rewarding to learn Wordpress and deploy your own plugins/customisations etc, it’s also remembering to patch and maintain not just the platform but the plugins and perform any platform hardening etc.

Less time maintaining = more time blogging 🙂

Welcome back NKGG!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I am using Wordpress.com, it is a good platform.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I started at wordpress.com. after a few years I migrated to a local hoster that offers wordpress support. Wordpress is very simple to use. The only recommendation I can give you is to start with you own domain! I did not do this and migration to my own domain caused some headache.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Also a +1 for WordPress. Not long ago I did some research and compared the existing solutions, and I ended with WordPress; almost every hoster has it in its portfolio and it’s really flexible. But finally I discarded the idea of an own blog because of our great german laws...:rolling_eyes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Wordpress is nice and flexible, so many plugins out there. I am using Simply.com as my host with CloudFlare (free) as a CDN in front.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wordpress is nice and flexible, so many plugins out there. I am using Simply.com as my host with CloudFlare (free) as a CDN in front.

Yeah I have Wordpress on A2 Hosting but using Cloudflare as well for traffic, etc. (the free version).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thanks for all the great advice. I will figure something out next week. 

cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ok folks, you have convinced me to to give this a try too 🙂 Veeam Communities are so much fun and so educational, the more the better!!!

I need a blog so next week I will start one up @NikolaPejkova can you update my application to say I have a blog 🙂🙂.

So now the hard part.. what to name my blog. I think BBBARR… this will trick those thirsty IT nerds into thinking they can get beverages and lure them in, when in fact it will stand for Burke’s Brilliant Backups And Resilient Restores!!!!

Good Luck everyone!!

cheers

If you wish to gain more visibilities, you can blog on TechDirectArchive as well! We get over 200K unique visitors each month… I (we) are growing :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ok folks, you have convinced me to to give this a try too 🙂 Veeam Communities are so much fun and so educational, the more the better!!!

I need a blog so next week I will start one up @NikolaPejkova can you update my application to say I have a blog 🙂🙂.

So now the hard part.. what to name my blog. I think BBBARR… this will trick those thirsty IT nerds into thinking they can get beverages and lure them in, when in fact it will stand for Burke’s Brilliant Backups And Resilient Restores!!!!

Good Luck everyone!!

cheers

If you wish to gain more visibilities, you can blog on TechDirectArchive as well! We get over 200K unique visitors each month… I (we) are growing :-)

Ok sounds good I will take a look there too. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Burke’s Brilliant Backups And Resilient Restores

This still sounds like something alcoholic @Geoff Burke ...I like it 😄

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Good Luck everyone!!

cheers

Very interesting may need to look at this too. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Good Luck everyone!!

cheers

Ok sounds good I will take a look there too. Thanks

Yes but considering I stopped drinking in 2020 August :) it would have to be juice and java :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

HonestBurkes.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Maybe BurkeTech.info?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

HonestBurkes.com

Hehe, does he sell cars? 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

HonestBurkes.com

Haha, sorry 😋 At least someone got the reference. But hey, getting good honest advice is what we need these days and I am confident Mr. Burke can provide it (like many others in this community).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

HonestBurkes.com

Haha, sorry 😋 At least someone got the reference. But hey, getting good honest advice is what we need these days and I am confident Mr. Burke can provide it (like many others in this community).

Honest Burkes 🙂 oh boy, if I saw that sign I would think.. scam 🙂 Sounds like one of those  pawn jobs with the guy in front smilling with no teeth saying “trust me!!” :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Trust me, I have a full alphabet soup 🤠 Best of luck on the blogging adventure, you have the passion and the role with exposure to keep filling up the blog posts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can always check out a .tech domain too.  That is my blog domain. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Trust me, I have a full alphabet soup 🤠 Best of luck on the blogging adventure, you have the passion and the role with exposure to keep filling up the blog posts.

Thanks, in all seriousness the main thing is to try and stay disciplined and keep at it. Towards the end of the year I got a bit exhausted, mainly due to the whole exam marathon thing. I think putting something out once every 2 weeks or so depending on work should be good. I am going to focus mainly on Kasten but will also hopefully get my hands on a vsphere csi setup to integrate with Veeam :) .

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Geoff 🙂

I use Wordpress.com because as much as it can be rewarding to learn Wordpress and deploy your own plugins/customisations etc, it’s also remembering to patch and maintain not just the platform but the plugins and perform any platform hardening etc.

Less time maintaining = more time blogging 🙂

Welcome back NKGG!

Just let them update automatically! After all, you have no chance to test them :-)

Comment