Solved

VSS Error with File to Tape Backup "Shadow copy provider vetoed the operation"

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello community,
I have an issue with a file to tape backup in combination with the usage of VSS.

I have to copy the files of the RMAN Backups to tape. The backup files of the RMAN and SAP plugins are not recognized as backup Jobs with the tape jobs, so I have to copy them as files and not as jobs.

The RMAN backups are running 24/7 - so there are some open files every time the copy job runs. And therefore I have activated the usage of VSS in the file to tape backup job.

Every time the job runs an VSS error is given - "Shadow copy provider vetoed the operation"

I did not find useful information to this error.

Does anyone have some idea why VSS is not working properly? A reboot did not help. On the drive is enough free space (around 62,5 TB free of 105 TB total).

icon

Best answer by regnor 5 January 2021, 23:08

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I admit I don't have much idea about Oracle. But as far as I know, Oracle does not provide a VSS-provider, right? So could it be, Oracle prohibits VSS to take a snapshot to not to get troubles with consistency? The word “veto” would suggest something like this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry, I think I have described my problem not clear enough.

I have Backup Jobs via the RMAN plugin which write their backup files in a repository on the VEEAM Server.

Out of this repository the file to tape job copies the files to tape. And with this job the VSS error occures.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You probably found this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/vss/writer-errors-and-vetoes

The following are examples of a writer veto:

• The writer vetoes the shadow copy creation process when it could not suspend its activities during the time the shadow copy was being created. This indicates that there is a high probability that the shadow copy is not valid because a write operation has occurred during the Freeze state.
  • A backup application has requested a shadow copy of only volume C: and a writer determines that a shadow copy of C: and D: is to back up its data. In this case, the writer will veto. The backup application may examine the metadata and determine whether the writer will be ignored or the shadow copy creation process will be aborted and later restarted.

So RMAN backups could cause constantly disk IOs that VSS is not able to suspend activity to create snapshot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I've never seen this specific error, but I would suggest that the volume size is causing the problem. VSS only works till 64TB, so with 105TB you won't be able to use VSS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I've never seen this specific error, but I would suggest that the volume size is causing the problem. VSS only works till 64TB, so with 105TB you won't be able to use VSS.

Oh, I wasn't aware of this VSS limitation.

I will check this. Thank you, @regnor 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks @regnor. Like @JMeixner I did not know too. There a quite some limitations for MS with things larger than 64TB it seems. VSS and Dedup for example. Is there more, important to know?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I only know the VSS limitation as I’ve stumbled over this one some time ago.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/backup-and-storage/usability-limit-volume-shadow-copy-service

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have tested this scenario with a smaller repository and it worked there.

So the 64 TB limitation is the problem….

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I'm glad that you've got your problem resolved, or at least now know the cause. If you cannot split the repositories in smaller pieces then perhaps a virtual disk/VHDX could work; but I'm not sure if VSS works in a mounted disk...

I have the issues with MUCH smaller datasets during file to tape jobs (VTL)….jobs finished but with same warning.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It's not the size of the data you are backing up. The volume size must not be bigger than 64 TB for VSS to work.

Comment