Appreciate your support.

icon

Best answer by m.saleh 28 June 2022, 18:01

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi

A corrupted restore point cannot be repaired by us, the community. Seems that the vbk itself is corrupted, which can happen if your backup storage has faced some corruption.

If this is the only restore point you have, and you need to restore the entire environment, then I recommend to open a Veeam Support Case. I know from cases where they provided a custom build of the tool which allowed you to restore at least some data which wasn’t corrupted in the backup file.

Thanks

Fabian

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi

A corrupted restore point cannot be repaired by us, the community. Seems that the vbk itself is corrupted, which can happen if your backup storage has faced some corruption.

If this is the only restore point you have, and you need to restore the entire environment, then I recommend to open a Veeam Support Case. I know from cases where they provided a custom build of the tool which allowed you to restore at least some data which wasn’t corrupted in the backup file.

Thanks

Fabian

Well actually this is not the only backup we’ve but the issue here is that the backup size is large and we’re restoring to a different datacenter and the link between them is slow that’s why I opened this question to see if there any option to fix this or not.

Also, I checked the backup file size and it’s looks like the same as before full backups so i dont know actually but anyway I started to copy a previous backup from the old DC to the newer one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Absolutely @Mildur is right on this one.

Please don’t attempt to modify the file yourself in any way, one question I’d want to ask on this:

Are you recovering with the same VBR environment or a new one? Just thinking if you’ve got an older VBR instance you’re recovering a newer backup to, it wouldn’t necessarily be able to read this.

You could also try using Veeam’s standalone extract utility as a separate recovery method. But please do all of this alongside Veeam support, they deal with this every day and are truly going to be your best chance of recovering this backup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@m.saleh are you trying to read the files over WAN or are you copying them to the other DC first? If you attempt to recover the backup locally into the same DC, do you get the error?

Is this one VBR environment or two?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@m.saleh 

Good point from @MicoolPaul. The VBR Version of the new VBR Server (or extract utility) must be the same or a higher version as the one who has created the backup. Or the file cannot be opened. 

I recommend to transfer the 1.5TB with a usb drive to your location and then export the backup there. I wouldn’t do it over a instable connection.

If it still is “corrupted”, best to ask veeam support to have a look at the file.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Absolutely @Mildur is right on this one.

Please don’t attempt to modify the file yourself in any way, one question I’d want to ask on this:

Are you recovering with the same VBR environment or a new one? Just thinking if you’ve got an older VBR instance you’re recovering a newer backup to, it wouldn’t necessarily be able to read this.

You could also try using Veeam’s standalone extract utility as a separate recovery method. But please do all of this alongside Veeam support, they deal with this every day and are truly going to be your best chance of recovering this backup.

No sir this is a new Veeam BR instance at the new DC

Userlevel 5
Badge

@m.salehare you trying to read the files over WAN or are you copying them to the other DC first? If you attempt to recover the backup locally into the same DC, do you get the error?

Is this one VBR environment or two?

No, I’m copying the backups first to the other DC and start the recovery.

I couldn’t restore over WAN cuz got some network issues with the DataDomain so the easiest way was to copy the backups and it’s working but got this error with that VM only.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@m.saleh

Good point from @MicoolPaul. The VBR Version of the new VBR Server (or extract utility) must be the same or a higher version as the one who has created the backup. Or the file cannot be opened. 

I recommend to transfer the 1.5TB with a usb drive to your location and then export the backup there. I wouldn’t do it over a instable connection.

If it still is “corrupted”, best to ask veeam support to have a look at the file.

The VBR server version i guess it’s the same or higher. 

Yes. the backup was transferred (copied) first to the location where we restore at.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you test recovery via the source VBR to see if it can even read the backup? That’ll cut through a huge amount of potentially wasted time on whether it’s an access issue, or version issue etc. If the Veeam installation that created the backup can’t read it, then we’ve cut out a lot of troubleshooting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@m.saleh

I had happened to be using an outdated veeam extractor

to avoid this kind of problem , you can schedule a check crc from gui job.
Or as I do run a script for check crc storage.
check this post.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Can you test recovery via the source VBR to see if it can even read the backup? That’ll cut through a huge amount of potentially wasted time on whether it’s an access issue, or version issue etc. If the Veeam installation that created the backup can’t read it, then we’ve cut out a lot of troubleshooting.

Well, the reason for all of this was that the DC went down including the Veeam BR servers and we got only the DataDomain available that holds the Veeam backups.

But luckily I got a call two hours ago that they got be able to make the DC up and running again. 

I checked the Veeam BR source and found the job for that corrupted backup was failed so i think thats why it shows this message because of it was not finished.

Thank y’all for support.

Comment