Veeam V12 Launch x Community Hub Discussion Board

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
V12 Launch Event banner. Launch date of February 14, 2023, is listed, along with the V12 and Veeam logos.

Hello Community,

Here’s a space for discussions on the V12 Launch Event! We would appreciate your thoughts on the event :) 

• What V12 capability are you most anticipating?
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication?
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading?
  • How long do you wait before upgrading?
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades?

36 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Need an opinion…   Using Zoomit on Demos.. YAY or NAY?

I think yay...it’s helpful.  Think laser pointer in the old school in-person meetings.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi, my answers: 

• What V12 capability are you most anticipating? : Direct to Object Storage, MFA, multiple protection Domain per job and Synthetic Full for Nutanix AHV, and finally Tape server on Linux. I’ve been personnaly waiting for that for so long …. (Hahaha)
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication? i’ll follow our process by testing first in our Lab. A compatibility matrix will be built first with all the Apps we have.
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading? since i’m the one supposed to validate the process, of course yes, i should be aware of any action 
  • How long do you wait before upgrading? the necessary time we can take for test, except when we drastically need a feature comming with the new release, which lead the process to a maximum of 2weeks
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades? yes!
Userlevel 5
Badge
    MFA & bugs we encountered which are fixed in V12
    Releasenotes, forums, blogposts
    Yep
    I would like to install it asap within 2 to 4 weeks, but we can't since our cloudconnect provider isn't ready for V12 yet and they don't give an estimate when they are. It would be nice to have a new version to be compatible the with n-1 version, so we don't have to wait for our cloud connect provider.
    Yes

Can the V12 Console connect to a V11 server?

We don’t want to upgrade the server first, then be stuck not being able to connect to V12 server from a V11 Console.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’m going to wait 5 weeks since everyone else seems to wait 4 😀

Veeamover, direct to object will be huge. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can the V12 Console connect to a V11 server?

We don’t want to upgrade the server first, then be stuck not being able to connect to V12 server from a V11 Console.

Thanks

Just tested this and the answer is no.  The v12 console will not connect to v11 server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

What V12 capability are you most anticipating?  →

• Continuous Data Protection for Veeam Cloud Connect Replication and VMware Cloud Director to Cloud Director
  •  Move Backups 
  • Console MFA
  • FLR  Compare
  •  Backup directly Object storage
  • Best practice Analyzer
  • Global Exclude VM
  • Enhanced Network Internet Traffic Management
  • LHR proxy role
  • Enanched I\O Control minimun set 1 ms for all-flash system
  •  Remove from configuration is now hidden CTRL + right click to display the option
  • SOBR rebalance
  • New compression algorithm
  • Persistent guest agent enhancements
  • PostgreSQL support Backup
  • PostgreSQL Support and default install option

How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication? test Lab → Test Lab by replicating production environments
SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading? → yup
How long do you wait before upgrading? → 3 months to make sure there are no major bugs
Do you set a test lab for upgrades? → Mandatory

Great work Veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Aside from the new features, have you also taken a look at the "Ransomware Recovery Warranty"? https://www.veeam.com/products/ransomware-recovery-warranty-terms-conditions.html

I find it very interesting, also as a point to review and optimize on VBR installations all security best practices/check lists!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Aside from the new features, have you also taken a look at the "Ransomware Recovery Warranty"? https://www.veeam.com/products/ransomware-recovery-warranty-terms-conditions.html

I find it very interesting, also as a point to review and optimize on VBR installations all security best practices/check lists!

Yes, it is interesting.

But the prerequisites are rather high (200.000$ annual volume) and no VCSP...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

My feedback @safiya  : 

@Rick Vanover : stay using the zoomit on the demo’s, I love it, it helps to focus, I love it, so keep using it 😎

→ Veeamover

→ VCC already upgraded, now all customers will be upgraded when engineers are onsite or engineers at the servicedesk doing it remotely

​​​​​​​→ No, they totally have faith in me and let me do what has to be done

→ the first day of GA for the VCC infra, afterwards customers will follow

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​→ Yes, at home

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
  • What V12 capability are you most anticipating? - MFA for me!
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication? READ, READ, READ!
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading? Uhh..yes, or I get fired!
  • How long do you wait before upgrading? I wait a month or so to see what issues have arisen since GA; VBR is the *only* product I upgrade fairly soon...all others I wait until a miminum of an U1 patch
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades? I haven’t needed to in the 12-13 or so yrs I’ve been using Veeam

Great post! 
    Cheers all & all the best in your uprades 😊

Comment