Veeam V12 Launch x Community Hub Discussion Board

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
V12 Launch Event banner. Launch date of February 14, 2023, is listed, along with the V12 and Veeam logos.

Hello Community,

Here’s a space for discussions on the V12 Launch Event! We would appreciate your thoughts on the event :) 

• What V12 capability are you most anticipating?
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication?
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading?
  • How long do you wait before upgrading?
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades?

36 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Here are my responses -

• What V12 capability are you most anticipating? --- I think the direct to object along with the VeeaMover to migrate jobs/repos
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication? --- Upgrades are done in our lab with documentation updates, diagram changes, etc. by myself before it gets to the Change Request stage for actual rollout
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading? --- Hard not to as it goes through Change Control - LOL
  • How long do you wait before upgrading? --- Typically we take anywhere from 2-4 weeks as I run through the upgrade process several times to ensure things work as expected and allow all documentation to be updated including Visio diagrams, etc.
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades? --- Yes we have a lab that we use for all upgrades including Veeam 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Here’s my responses

• What V12 capability are you most anticipating? - VeeamMover is a huge one and MFA
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication? - It will be a phased approach across our client base as we have approx 50 VBR servers to complete
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading? - Yes our environments are going RTM under change control.
  • How long do you wait before upgrading? - Client VBR servers we will typically wait a minimum of 2 weeks before planning unless any request the upgrade
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades? - Yes
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
  • What V12 capability are you most anticipating? Postgresql Explorer, Veeamover, new Oracle features.
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication? We will wait for the first patch, update documentation before...
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading? changes in production must be reported 😅
  • How long do you wait before upgrading? 2-4 weeks after GA, except there is a urge for a new feature.
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades? yes, we will do when GA will be available!

we have made several updates since using Veeam, we had 0 problem and i hope this new update won’t break the positive chain!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I’m looking forward to the following:

• Direct to Object, corollary to Cloud Protection Agents (the Veeam Repo can be very expensive to run in public cloud!)
  • Support for VBAWS v6 and VBAzure v5 for my cloud customers
  • Support for VB365 reporting
  • Improved support for Immutability Reports and Alerts
  • Backup Chain Improvements - so many reasons!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
  • What V12 capability are you most anticipating? - VeeamMover, MFA, Plugin Improvements
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication? - We will wait some weeks before we will update our existing production environments. We have a test environment were we will test the upgrade and the database change. We are building two new environments at the moment and will build them with V12 right away.
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading? - Yes all of our environments are under change control.
  • How long do you wait before upgrading? - We wait approximately 4 weeks before upgrading our production environments to a new major release.
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades? - Yes

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
    • VeeaMover and MFA
    • ​​​​​​​Depends on the degree of upgrade.  Most of the time there’s not a lot of need to plan unless there are other impacts such as using a feature that is being deprecated, additional infrastructure needs (such as expanding per-job backups to per-VM, etc).  Internally not a big deal.  For external clients, yes, planning is needed, and some of that stems from dependencies - clients that are hosting data on VCC vendors such as 11:11 will need to wait to update until those vendors are able to support the new version.
    • ​​​​​​​Yes, but usually as it’s happening or right before just as a heads-up.
    • ​​​​​​​Internally I update almost right away….I tend to trust Veeam updates more than updates from other vendors.  External clients - often it’ll be a couple weeks after the release though I don’t plan on waiting as long this time around.  Now that I can deploy upgrades via the Service Provider Console, assuming testing works well (I have one lab environment giving me a weird error), then those that can be updated sooner will be.  It’s a lot more manual and takes a lot more time when I have to do them one-by-one.
    • ​​​​​​​I can.  Sometimes I don’t, sometimes I do - just depends on the current state of the lab and if I have the time as well as if there are certain features that I need to perform additional testing on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Here are my responses -

• What V12 capability are you most anticipating? --- I think the direct to object

Oooh...somehow I forgot this one!  :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @safiya my 2 cents

MFA, Postgres DB platform and to have Object Storage in the Performance Tier

We apply upgrade immediatly on our labs 

Oh my boss is excited

We work with customers so we need to wait their availability

Sure

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh yes, I forgot about PostgreSQL. 😎

This is a feature I am especially looking for, because we have several Veeam servers hitting the 10GB DB size limit and have expensive MS SQL licenses in use...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is a feature I am especially looking for, because we have several Veeam servers hitting the 10GB DB size limit and have expensive MS SQL licenses in use...

Yes, definitely one of the top 5 on my list for sure too.  Getting away from SQL licensing will be a bonus.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes, definitely one of the top 5 on my list for sure too.  Getting away from SQL licensing will be a bonus.

Yep…..a lot of SME asking about SQL licensing so they can definitively leave MSSQL to save money.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Happy VEEAMalantines day everyone! 💚

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

An hour left!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

30 minutes to go!  Cannot wait for this event.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Same!  I was just trying to figure out how to put Veeam and Valentines together, but alas, Michael beat me to it.  :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

countdown started

Userlevel 7
Badge +14
    • → Direct Backup to Object Storage & MFA
    • → Going through the What’s New document, release notes and the blog post from @Rick Vanover
    • → We’ll inform all our customers
    • 2-3 weeks
    • →  yes, waiting for the RTM->GA patch

EDIT: Added my answers 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
    • ->

Text search game? 😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JMeixner Somehow I posted while formating the arrows 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I saw a familiar cat on @Rick Vanover 👀

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I saw a familiar cat on @Rick Vanover 👀

Sneak Alfred in when I can.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Need an opinion…   Using Zoomit on Demos.. YAY or NAY?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Need an opinion…   Using Zoomit on Demos.. YAY or NAY?

I personally like it as you can zoom in on what you are talking about so people can read it.  Depending on the broadcast vendor and screen resolutions we all know that does not work many times.  😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Cheers @Chris.Childerhose  → Especially as this one had a frame all the time (the V12 broadcast) and sometimes camera was on side 1/3rd. So that worked for this, so far only @kirststoner12 has taken the Zoomit Plunge!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I saw a familiar cat on @Rick Vanover 👀

Hah...I took a screenshot as well, and he even mentioned Alfred once.

Comment