Solved

Veeam v11 CDP and Oracle

• 23 February 2021
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 2

Hi

Will CDP be compatible with Oracle ensuring transaction consistent replicas?

icon

Best answer by DChiavari 24 February 2021, 10:56

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Will CDP be compatible with Oracle ensuring transaction consistent replicas?

Great question, CDP is compatible with Oracle but to answer your question properly we need to explain CDP more and how that fits.

Veeam’s CDP implementation supports both short-term and long-term retention and has different feature sets depending on the option used to support the aggressiveness of the RPO required.

Short-Term retention focuses on crash-consistency, as you can target extremely aggressive RPOs such as 2 seconds (though realistically this is likely sub-optimal for most environments). So you’d be relying on logs for transaction roll up most likely.

Long-Term retention enables the option of application-consistency, you’d target a less aggressive RPO but enable Veeam to perform application-consistent replication. This would be suitable during periods of low utilisation (if your environment has the luxury of not being a 24x7 operation!)

Hopefully this helps

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

CDP features two types of “retention”:

• Short-term: this is journal-based, so you can go back to any point in time inside this period of time. If for example you define a 5 seconds RPO and a 1 hour short-term retention window, you can failover to any point in time in the latest hour, at 5-seconds increments. These points in time are always crash-consistent.

• Long-term: this is basically the replica restore points you already know from non-CDP replicas. These additional restore points can be either application-consistent or crash-consistent based on the settings. The usual Veeam Application-Aware Image Processing is used here, so Oracle (on both Windows and Linux) is supported - except for RAC clusters and multiple Oracle versions on the same machine.
CDP Short and Long term retention

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Ah, I see @MicoolPaul beat me to it while I was writing :slight_smile:  Good stuff!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ah, I see @MicoolPaul beat me to it while I was writing :slight_smile:  Good stuff!

Yours was better as you put in the pictures! :grinning:

Comment