Question

Veeam One Backup Repository Monitoring

• 30 November 2023
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 2

We have recently encountered a scenario in which backup data hosted on a Cloud repository was lost due to technical issue.  

We were not made aware of the situation until a recovery request. We would like to see additional conditional based monitoring implemented in Veeam One for backup repositories to better detect significant drops in storage utilization. I have submitted a feature request in the R&D forums, but I am wondering what is being done in the community to monitor this kind of behavior for cloud repositories.  

Thanks,

Paul R

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I can’t speak to your query as I’m not a heavy Veeam ONE user, but I’ll note that the feature request submission in the R&D Forums is the right place to make the feature request.  I would assume that ONE would be able to monitor for such a thing, but I don’t have a good way to check this out and test currently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There definitely are storage reports and monitoring in Veeam ONE currently.  Are you looking to monitor both Veeam repos and VMware datastores?

There are these reports which you can schedule.

Userlevel 2

There definitely are storage reports and monitoring in Veeam ONE currently.  Are you looking to monitor both Veeam repos and VMware datastores?

Hi Chris.  I appreciate your response.  This scenario pertains to backup repositories.  Specifically cloud backup repositories hosted on object storage.  In my testing, Veeam One V12 can only provide conditional based alerting on free space usage above or below a given percentage threshold.  Inverting the default ‘below’ condition to ‘above’ does not seem to generate an alert.  I assume this is because the capacity of the cloud repository is not known by Veeam One.  

We are already reviewing capacity reports on a daily basis, but our organization feels this type of analysis is too prone to human error.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Chris.  I appreciate your response.  This scenario pertains to backup repositories.  Specifically cloud backup repositories hosted on object storage.  In my testing, Veeam One V12 can only provide conditional based alerting on free space usage above or below a given parentage threshold.  Inverting the default ‘below’ condition to ‘above’ does not seem to generate an alert.  I assume this is because the capacity of the cloud repository is not known by Veeam One.  

We are already reviewing capacity reports on a daily basis, but our organization feels this type of analysis is too prone to human error.  

Ah ok gotcha.  Yeah, would be nice to see those types of reports added to VONE for sure.  Hopefully your suggestion in the forums gets somewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @paulpreiche4 -

I was just following up on your post about Repo (Cloud) storage monitoring. Did you maybe reach out to Veeam Support to see what other solutions they may offer/suggest since VONE isn’t really an option you’re looking for?

Thanks.

Userlevel 2

Hi @paulpreiche4 -

I was just following up on your post about Repo (Cloud) storage monitoring. Did you maybe reach out to Veeam Support to see what other solutions they may offer/suggest since VONE isn’t really an option you’re looking for?

Thanks.

I posted on the Veeam R&D forums regarding this and received feedback from the team that this would be an interesting feature to investigate.  I have not heard anything since then.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah ok. That was a great place to post actually. Nice the PM team gave you feedback.

Comment