Question

Veeam M365 repository

Userlevel 3
Badge

Dear All,

I wanted to host Veeam M365 repository on Dell Data Domain CIIFS Share (SMB2.0).  I am completely aware that Veeam M365 doesn't support SMB2.0 and being a jet blue database, it has performance impact also.  

Does anybody has some workaround wherein I can backup onto primary Veeam M365 repository and then it should move the data to either CIIFS or NFS?

NOTE: Don’t recommend Veeam best practices. 

Regards,

Sunny

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That’s quite a statement there to say don’t recommend Veeam best practices. They are lessons learned and there to prevent headaches.

I’d suggest you use Veeam to protect your VB365 server and back that up to your DD.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey @MicoolPaul - maybe @Sunny Ghai meant '’ guys, please don't recommend Veeam best practices as I am already aware of that?'’

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I guess why question would be why go with this route? Surely it makes the setup more complicated. Additionally, when it came to restores, would you move back the data? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

For this situation I only have data domain as backup storage and unfortunately I need to host vbr and vbm repository onto it.

Though we are aware about the performance impact, as due to some unique circumstances this workaround has to be done.

Thought of asking here, may be if someone has done something out of the box to meet this specific requirement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

Can you use object storage instead?

Dell Data Domain doesn’t offer any methods of being accessed by VBM365.

Further, in the Veeam documentation it’s specifically spelt out that it’s not supported to use a deduplication backup storage appliance (Link: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo365/guide/vbo_considerations.html?ver=60#backup-repositories)

Based on the format of the used Microsoft JET Database, deduplication backup storage appliances are not supported.

Other workarounds are also explicitly not supported such as symbolic link configured as a mapped drive:

A symbolic link that is configured as a mapped drive is not supported.

I know I’m not giving you the answer you’re seeking, but fundamentally, it’s just not supported what you’re trying to do, for good reason. You can by all means try to do this anyway by trying to map an NFS/SMB share that the data domain creates to some storage that the server can read, there’s plenty of tools out there that make such things with varied results.

I’d suggest you take a step back and look at procurement of other storage or leveraging object such as Wasabi or Azure or AWS etc.

Comment