Veeam Log Analysis - Log Diving 101

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have recently seen many people posting about issues with jobs, etc. and then some of the error messages they are seeing.  If you want to analyze the Veeam logs to see if you can troubleshoot the issue yourself you can follow the attached PPT file which is a Log Diving session from 2017.  It is a great resource and shows you where and what to look for in the logs with examples too.

Log Files are located here - C:\ProgramData\Veeam

This is where you will find the logs for the respective jobs.  Like backup jobs are located in the “Backup” folder then broken down in to subfolders by job name.

Hopefully this helps people when it comes to troubleshooting job failures as I have used this PPT file many times to help me prior to calling Support. :smiley:

22 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

awesome doc m8, thx for share!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks for the share, it will come in really handy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Wow, this is from Veeam Kickoff 2017! 

That’s a rarity, @Chris.Childerhose:smile:  @Rick Vanover look at this.

Thanks for sharing, Chris! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wow, this is from 2017 Kickoff! 

That’s a rarity, @Chris.Childerhose:smile:  @Rick Vanover look at this.

Thanks for sharing, Chris! 

No problem.  It is old but so handy for log analysis and a great resource.  Feel free to pin if needed for others @Kseniya :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sharing @Chris.Childerhose it probably deserves a sticky as I think we’ll see a lot of these posts going forwards!

Also I’d just like to highlight to people the C:\ProgramData folder is hidden by default, it’s definitely NOT Program Files!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sharing @Chris.Childerhose it probably deserves a sticky as I think we’ll see a lot of these posts going forwards!

Also I’d just like to highlight to people the C:\ProgramData folder is hidden by default, it’s definitely NOT Program Files!

Yes I think we will and thanks @MicoolPaul  for mentioning the hidden folder in Windows.  You need to show hidden files/folders in Explorer to see this one. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Well done @Chris.Childerhose , #sharingiscaring” !!! :raised_hands:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well done @Chris.Childerhose , #sharingiscaring” !!! :raised_hands:

Thanks @NikolaPejkova :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks for sharing @Chris.Childerhose it probably deserves a sticky as I think we’ll see a lot of these posts going forwards!

It looks like we should consider creating a new section in community where we can place all ‘pinned’ posts :blush: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It looks like we should consider creating a new section in community where we can place all ‘pinned’ posts :blush: 

I like that idea as things like this would be great there.  Also some of the other great posts that have been pinned recently by others we could move there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That would definitely come in handy, @Kseniya ! :nerd:  Like a board with information / content you just can´t miss :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for the document :) I will share it with my team.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for sharing @Chris.Childerhose

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Great share @Chris.Childerhose The presentation is really useful and some parts were new to me.

@Kseniya A collection of must-read or best-of topics makes sense; especially if you're new to the community and/or Veeam it would be a good starting point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Very useful presentation. 👍🏼

I will share it with my colleagues 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great share @Chris.Childerhose The presentation is really useful and some parts were new to me.

@KseniyaA collection of must-read or best-of topics makes sense; especially if you're new to the community and/or Veeam it would be a good starting point.

Thanks.  Glad this one is proving to be useful to others. :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Great post @Chris.Childerhose , thx for sharing! Can be very handy when needed at times to troubleshoot… ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Great resource for troubleshooting! Thanks for sharing!

I personally like the bottleneck-detector history (every 10 seconds)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great resource for troubleshooting! Thanks for sharing!

I personally like the bottleneck-detector history (every 10 seconds)

Yeah this one is really good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Impressive throwback! I think we need to put a modern something like this (and maybe for VBO or additional products...) at VeeamON 2022..

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Impressive throwback! I think we need to put a modern something like this (and maybe for VBO or additional products...) at VeeamON 2022..

That would be awesome to update it for VeeamON 2022 as well as adding other products. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thanks for this excellent ressource :)

Comment