Solved

Veeam CDP

• 30 December 2021
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi guys, I was reading the helpcenter documents on CDP and found that you should install I/O filter on cluster, is it okay install it on host?

icon

Best answer by haslund 30 December 2021, 08:34

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You cannot use standalone hosts. You can create a cluster with only a single host inside though, but you must use clusters. This is not a Veeam requirement but a VMware requirement to use their features that Veeam is leveraging for CDP.

Check https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc/GUID-1021600A-AFE0-45FA-9AAC-CE70A383AA95.html

“If you use I/O filters provided by third parties, install the I/O filters in an ESXi host cluster.”

“Installation is performed at an ESXi cluster lever. You cannot install the filters on selected hosts directly.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You cannot use standalone hosts. You can create a cluster with only a single host inside though, but you must use clusters. This is not a Veeam requirement but a VMware requirement to use their features that Veeam is leveraging for CDP.

For I/O filters if my source and target hosts reside on the same cluster, I should only install I/O filter on that cluster and use the same filter for both hosts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Anandu: I think you need to carefully think about why are you doing this? Which scenario are you trying to protect yourself against?

To be honest, it makes no sense to me to do this but it works. Could maybe be for a homelab? But if a homelab why not just put the two hosts in two different clusters to make it closer to the real world?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Anandu: I think you need to carefully think about why are you doing this? Which scenario are you trying to protect yourself against?

To be honest, it makes no sense to me to do this but it works. Could maybe be for a homelab? But if a homelab why not just put the two hosts in two different clusters to make it closer to the real world?

@haslund It’s not about why, just wanted to know whether this is possible. And since you asked, is it bad recommendation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

For a production setup, if you add multiple hosts to the same cluster it is usually because shared storage is involved so that VMs can be moved between hosts. If you use Veeam CDP to protect your VM, it would be stored on shared storage which would be gone if the original VMs storage is also gone.

To me, using Veeam CDP between hosts inside the same cluster makes no sense; I hope someone can provide a sensible use case but I just can’t envision it.

If someone is worried about the loss of a host, then enable vSphere HA if you have shared storage.

If you are worried about the loss of a host and shared storage, then enable vSphere HA + Fault Tolerance.

If you are worried about a site loss, then use Veeam CDP to another site targeting a different cluster with different storage.

There are many tools in the toolbox, if you start with a hammer in your hand then everything suddenly looks like a nail. Try to start with the “Why?” the “What?”, what scenario are we looking to protect against or mitigate?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

For a production setup, if you add multiple hosts to the same cluster it is usually because shared storage is involved so that VMs can be moved between hosts. If you use Veeam CDP to protect your VM, it would be stored on shared storage which would be gone if the original VMs storage is also gone.

To me, using Veeam CDP between hosts inside the same cluster makes no sense; I hope someone can provide a sensible use case but I just can’t envision it.

If someone is worried about the loss of a host, then enable vSphere HA if you have shared storage.

If you are worried about the loss of a host and shared storage, then enable vSphere HA + Fault Tolerance.

If you are worried about a site loss, then use Veeam CDP to another site targeting a different cluster with different storage.

ok got it. Here’s one more question: In replication/CDP when you enable replica seeding and when we go to seeding option and not enable seeding or mapping settings, then does enabling replica seeding make sense?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There are many tools in the toolbox, if you start with a hammer in your hand then everything suddenly looks like a nail. Try to start with the “Why?” the “What?”, what scenario are we looking to protect against or mitigate?

I did it in four hosts in the same cluster but that was for my book and chapter on CDP. I made sure to pin the two CDP proxy servers to specific hosts along with the VM I was using for the example. This to me would be the only time or if you don't have enough hardware for multiple clusters like a homelab. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Anandu You can reference my blog. I think it can help you.

https://wuchikin.wordpress.com/2020/11/17/continuous-data-protection-veeam-backup-and-replication-v11-beta2/

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Just visited your wordpress, super cool theme!

Comment