Solved

Veeam Backup Server Placement

• 11 November 2023
  • 3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Me again with new topic 😁

At the moment our VBR Server is located on the Hyper-V Host where are also the 50% of VMs that we are backing up.

Without Using Off-Host proxies I can guess that all load will come to Hyper-V host which is hosting VMs and VBR also.
I guess that data movers from source VM and VBR are run on the Hyper-V host itself.

What would be the best practice for placement of VBR?
Is it good idea then to isolate it from the VMs that we are backing up or?
I can host it on some Hyper-V Host which doesn’t have productive VMs or any

Also then our off-host backup proxy should be physical machine or somewhere where we also dont have anything?

icon

Best answer by Moustafa_Hindawi 11 November 2023, 22:02

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@NemanjaJanicic -- the BP Guide and link I provided in your previous post discuss HV On/Off Proxy decision based off pros/cons...did you read it? They generally recommend on-host unless there’s some dire need to have off-host. The Guide also talks about VBR placement , generally to be placed in the main DC alongside the infrastructure backing up.

Choosing between physical vs virtual Proxy depends mostly the transport mode you wanna go with - DirectStorage (SAN/NFS) or hotadd. You can’t go wrong with either tbh.

Hope that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @NemanjaJanicic 

It is better to place VBR out of Hyber-V if you have only single host, that is for disaster recovery.

For Off-Host proxy, it should be physical, creating off-host proxy virtual is not a good idea (Hyper-V nested inside another hypervisor), because off-host proxy must be a windows server with Hyper-V role installed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

For Hyper-V I usually recommend to use On-Host backup, because “it just works” 😀 Off-Host is great if you want to completely offload operations from your Hyper-V cluster, but in my experience, it’s usually more trouble than it’s worth… there’s a lot of rather strict requirements.

One important difference in Hyper-V, compared to vSphere, it’s that by default *all hosts* of the Hyper-V cluster are used as Data Movers (source proxies)… not the VBR server, not (only) the Hyper-V host it runs on (if it’s a Hyper-V VM, just like your case).

So you also get better / more even load distribution. If your hosts are generally not super loaded CPU-wise, I would definitely recommend using On-Host backup.

Comment