Solved

Veeam and GCP confidential vm restore

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi all… has anyone tried to restore a confidential VM instance in Google cloud? IS it possible? 

I can’t find anythings in Veeam documentation. 

thanks 

icon

Best answer by Andanet 17 March 2023, 09:05

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It is possible and here is the Veeam documentation on restoring to GCP - Restore to Google Compute Engine - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks @Chris.Childerhose I had already seen the documentation but not talk about confidential VM that use encryption keys even when is in use.

There are some differences with a classic GCE instances due to encryption best practice… keyring are stored on a different project to segregate key from instance. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks @Chris.Childerhose I had already seen the documentation but not talk about confidential VM that use encryption keys even when is in use.

There are some differences with a classic GCE instances due to encryption best practice… keyring are stored on a different project to segregate key from instance. 

Ah ok.  Not sure on that one and hopefully someone that knows will chime in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello @Andanet, I have not tried this but Veeam Backup for Google Cloud Platform (GCP) can help restore GCP Confidential VMs since this backup solution is specifically built for this environment, and capable of creating an image-level backup!. 

I know it was not spelt out emphatically in this guide. Please test and share your findings: https://www.veeam.com/google-cloud-backup.html 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks folks… at the moment we are working with another backup software with some error during keyring restore. We are looking for other solution and we will try Veeam for this use case. 

When we have tested I’ll post the results. 

Thanks all.  

Comment