Solved

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is unable to open backup files created by Veeam Backup & Replication

Userlevel 2
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 2 comments

Hello, I am getting this error message:Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is unable to open backup files created by Veeam Backup & Replication.

I want to restore a physical machine. Backup and USB boot stick were created under Veeam Communtty edition 10.

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 7 November 2021, 16:18

View original

16 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If I was to guess it seems the version of the backups files are not the same as the program being used. But without more details it is hard to say. If the application was v10 then was upgraded to v11 the chain would be updated so reading from v10 is not possible.  But again this is a guess.

Didn you check the logs?

Userlevel 2

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have now updated to the current version 11. I will now create a new backup and a new USB boot stick. Let's see if the problem persists.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have now updated to the current version 11. I will now create a new backup and a new USB boot stick. Let's see if the problem persists.

Sounds good and hopefully that fixes the issue.  Let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are the backup files accessible by the physical host you are trying to restore?

After booting from the recovery media you have to configure your network settings….

I know this is a very basic question, but just to be sure… 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Or maybe it was just a previous release than backup’s agent.

I think that updating will solve the problem for you

Userlevel 2

Hi there,
I had updated the agent under version 10 again. Still the problem.

The problem is now solved after the update to version 11.

I thank everyone for the quick help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi there,

Exactly, the problem was a previous release installed. Very good.

@ecki remember to select a reply to close this case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi there,

Just FYI my answer should've been the one marked as right. 😉

I am using V11 11.0.0.837 and when I boot from the ISO I created I am unable to restore the backup to a physical machine with the error “Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is unable to open backup files created by Veeam Backup and Replication”

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I am using V11 11.0.0.837 and when I boot from the ISO I created I am unable to restore the backup to a physical machine with the error “Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is unable to open backup files created by Veeam Backup and Replication”

What version is the agent?  If newer might be an issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What version is the agent?  If newer might be an issue.

Chris is likely right here. The version of v11 you have is pre v11a and will include support for Veeam Agent for windows 5.0.0, the latest version is 5.0.2. V11a included support for 5.0.1 and then a subsequent cumulative update added support for 5.0.2.

Details on the patches here: https://www.veeam.com/kb4245

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I see "Community Edition", is possible that issue is related to different and licensed version of backup file too? For different I mean only in terms of license.

@MicoolPaul and @Chris.Childerhose what do you think guys?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I see "Community Edition", is possible that issue is related to different and licensed version of backup file too? For different I mean only in terms of license.

@MicoolPaul and @Chris.Childerhose what do you think guys?

Yes that is a possibility too but if CE for agent it should work.  Still think it is software version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@marcofabbri I wouldn’t worry about that as Veeam don’t license for recovery of data only backup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@tsppp have you solved with @MicoolPaul post? Let us know :grin:

Look at:

https://forums.veeam.com/servers-workstations-f49/bare-metal-restore-from-backup-copy-t77053.html

Comment