Question

vcenter server backing up clients but not copied to tape

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

For legal purpose we have to make a full backup of one of the server and store it in either the server or tape for infinite retention. If I click on inventory, vcenter server, server name, there are few options like Quick backup, add to backup job….. Can the copy of the backup job be stored for infinite retention in the server since we do not have tape copy activated. Can this job be also used to restore files from backup.

Backup server stores files(.vbm and .vbk) for 5 months but the edit backup job retention policy is 12 days. Not sure how the files in the backup server are stored for 5 months.

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You want an extra copy with infinity retention?

Do a VeeamZIP
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/veeamzip.html?ver=110

When it is for legal purposes you should copy the VeeamZIP at least to a second location or copy it to an external storage which you can take offline.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I would do what Joe suggests using VeeamZIP for this purpose as it will save to a location then can be copied elsewhere.  ☝🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Agree with the above….nothing that has a retention period if you need to keep it forever.  VeeamZip is the one to go with in this case, but also keep a copy of VeeamExtract with it so that you have the utility handy to extract the data from the backup if/when the time comes.

I have to wonder sometimes with these 100 year or infinite retention policies if the backup will ever be needed, and if it does, will it have been so long that it’s not practical anyway?  Like if it’s Windows Server 2019 on vSphere 7.0, but it’s been 30/50/100 years and we’re on vSphere 40 and Windows Server 3003, is the data from that backup actually any good?  Or for instance, if I needed to restore from an old DAT or LTO 2 tape, do I even have the capability of accessing that backup, or using it if was able to restore it?  What other infrastructure would I need?  Domain Controller?  Really old ESXI host?  10Mb half-duplex switch?  Some of this is tongue in cheek, but you get the idea.

My point is, it’s good to keep backups data around for a long time, but also to make sure that all aspects are thought out of what it would take to restore said data.  Your backups are only as good as what you can restore, and 20 or 30 years from now, you might not be able to restore what is backed up today.  I don’t think I could necessarily restore data from 20 years ago right now -- maybe, I’ve been known to work miracles, but if it’s 30 or 50 years old, then I don’t know….

Comment