Solved

VBO365 - Checking the backed up size of a mailbox?

Userlevel 4

I’ve added a shared mailbox to an existing backup job this morning - the mailbox is 7GB in Office 365. The job completed a little while later but in the summary I see “Transferred: 419.6 MB (25466 items)”.

Those figures don’t add up, so I’d like to investigate more but I can’t see a way to show the backed up data size for any mailbox. How do I do that?

icon

Best answer by DChiavari 12 June 2023, 16:21

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can try to run this report to see sizing - Get-VBOMailboxProtectionReport - Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 PowerShell Reference

If you use VONE then there are reports in there as well for VB365 v7 (if you are on v7 that is)

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Just as an additional suggestion / heads-up: check the Retention Policy setting at the Repository level.

“Item-Level” retention can be sometimes confusing, since the retention setting does not only impact how long data is kept - it also impacts which data is backed up in the first place. For example: if you select 1 year, only items not older than 1 year are backed up, and then kept for 1 year.

Userlevel 4

Just as an additional suggestion / heads-up: check the Retention Policy setting at the Repository level.

“Item-Level” retention can be sometimes confusing, since the retention setting does not only impact how long data is kept - it also impacts which data is backed up in the first place. For example: if you select 1 year, only items not older than 1 year are backed up, and then kept for 1 year.

Wow, I think you just saved my bacon there. I assumed it meant “keep this for a year” and as I’m using this as a temp backup before a migration, 1 year is all I set… :-|

I’ll change that right now and hopefully it’ll append the missing data. Otherwise I’ll re-create from scratch.

Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Yup, it’s adding the missing data now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As @DChiavari said, retention policy for VBM365 can be confusing and can cause storage issues if not configured correctly. I find this blog very useful for explaining the difference between item level and snapshot level retention.

https://www.veeam.com/blog/office-365-backup-retention-explained.html

Userlevel 4

As @DChiavari said, retention policy for VBM365 can be confusing and can cause storage issues if not configured correctly. I find this blog very useful for explaining the difference between item level and snapshot level retention.

https://www.veeam.com/blog/office-365-backup-retention-explained.html

I’d like to see this, but it always times out. “Generating Protected Mailboxes report…. Please wait...” for quite a few minutes and then times out.

It’s a pity that there is no -job switch as it does the whole organization without restriction. Thanks for the link though.

Comment