Solved

V12 Upgrade failure: service missing on host

Userlevel 2

Dear Community,

our installation is based on a single Hyper-V host with 3 VMs. 

Veeam v11 community was running fine until I upgraded to v12.

Software is installed on a Win10 dedicated PC. When launching the V12 console, it asks for an Host upgrade which arrives to an error:

“failed to upgrade host components. error: veeam distribution service is not installed”

Do you know how to install such service on host?

thank you for your testimonials and help

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 27 February 2023, 14:42

View original

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is your console on a different system than the VBR server?

Userlevel 2

No, they are on the same machine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Do you see the Veeam services in the Windows services snapin?

Userlevel 2

Services are running fine on the VBR server:

Whilst some other services are also running on the Hyper-V host:

I can’t see the Veeam distribution service on neither machines.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you go to Backup Infrastructure in the Veeam Console, are there any servers with warnings/errors under the managed servers? If so, try to rescan those, and/or edit them and click through all the steps without changing anything.

Userlevel 2

I’ve tried to edit, then rescan servers, and encountered the warning: one or more veeam components is not up to date. Skipping host.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve tried to edit, then rescan servers, and encountered the warning: one or more veeam components is not up to date. Skipping host.

This means the software on this server is not the current version.  Try updating it to see if that helps.

You can run the update on the server from within the console. Go to that out of date section of the tree.

Userlevel 2

Dear Chris,

when I try to do so, I have an error:

failed to upgrade host components error veeam distribution service is not installed

I’m stuck here...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Depending on what version you are using @Jrousset.VERA if you mount the Veeam ISO file on this server - go under Packages folder and run the VeeamDistributionSVC.msi -- this will install the service that Veeam is looking for and will hopefully let you upgrade at that point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You also might have to remove any outdated components as well on the server if there is a much older version installed via Add/Remove Programs.

Userlevel 2

Thank you Chris, as the Veeamdistribution package was definitly the missing one. After installing this, I could upgrade my host, and launch the backup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Have to put that one in my back pocket.  I probably would have uninstalled all the components and removed it from the configuration and then added it back in...assuming that it didn’t yell at me about jobs being dependent on that component.

Badge

I had a different experience after upgrading, where I could not run the console. During install it said it could start the Veeam backup service, and gave an option to continue without starting it (retrying did not help). Then when I started the Veeam Backup and Replication Console, it wouldnt start with an error of actively refused the connection. I looked in the error logs and saw an error code 110 in the Windows error logs saying the below two errors.

After googl'ing, I came across this post and looked at the Packages folder and the install failed to copy some packages to the folder. I then grabbed all the packes from the ISO and pasted them into the packages folder on the server, and the backup server was able to start the service. All good now. 

Hope this helps as well. And while running the VeeamDistributionsSVC.msi did not help me (the services were there), it did lead me in the right direction. Thanks Chris Childerhose.

Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Failed to open MSI database 'C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Packages\VeeamTape.msi'. Error code: 110.
   at Veeam.Backup.ProxyProvider.CMsiDatabase.Open(String msiFilePath)
   at Veeam.Backup.ProxyProvider.CMsiHelper.GetVersion(String msiFilePath)
   at Veeam.Backup.Core.CHostComponentsHelper.ResolvePkgDistribInfos()
   at Veeam.Backup.Core.SDistribsInfo.ResolveImpl()
   at Veeam.Backup.Core.SDistribsInfo.get_Info()
   at Veeam.Backup.Core.CHostComponentsHelper.UpdateUpgradeStatus()
   at Veeam.Backup.ServiceLib.CVbServiceImpl..ctor(CVbEnvironment env, CTerminationMediator terminator)
   at Veeam.Backup.Service.CVeeamBackupSvc.OnStart(String[] args)
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state) 

And...

Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Failed to open MSI database 'C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Packages\VeeamHvIntegration.msi'. Error code: 110.
   at Veeam.Backup.ServiceLib.CVbServiceImpl..ctor(CVbEnvironment env, CTerminationMediator terminator)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I had a different experience after upgrading, where I could not run the console. During install it said it could start the Veeam backup service, and gave an option to continue without starting it (retrying did not help). Then when I started the Veeam Backup and Replication Console, it wouldnt start with an error of actively refused the connection. I looked in the error logs and saw an error code 110 in the Windows error logs saying the below two errors.

After googl'ing, I came across this post and looked at the Packages folder and the install failed to copy some packages to the folder. I then grabbed all the packes from the ISO and pasted them into the packages folder on the server, and the backup server was able to start the service. All good now. 

Hope this helps as well. And while running the VeeamDistributionsSVC.msi did not help me (the services were there), it did lead me in the right direction. Thanks Chris Childerhose.

Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Failed to open MSI database 'C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Packages\VeeamTape.msi'. Error code: 110.

And...

Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Failed to open MSI database 'C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Packages\VeeamHvIntegration.msi'. Error code: 110.

Glad I was of assistance 😄

Hi

I fixed the issue by replacing files on this folders

C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Packages

from packages folders on installation packages

i hope this help :)

Comment