Using Nutanix Objects? You might be in violation of MinIO licensing

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This wasn’t on my 2022 bingo card…

According to MinIO, Nutanix Objects has been using MinIO for years without disclosing this, and after years of discussions, they’ve been unable to find a good faith solution to this. Therefore MinIO have revoked Nutanix’s licenses to MinIO software.

I don’t want to misinterpret this as MinIO’s blog post has strong legal vibes to it, but MinIO are advising customers of Nutanix Objects may have legal & security risks by continuing to use Nutanix Objects.

You can find MinIO’s statement here: https://blog.min.io/nutanix-objects-violates-minios-open-source-license/

As of the time of writing, I’ve been unable to find any announcements from Nutanix relating to their perspective on the matter, via their social media, blog or news resources.

If you utilise Nutanix Objects, you certainly need to question how this impacts you, and sooner rather than later!

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Oh wow. Going to be interesting how Nutanix responds...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Oh wow. Going to be interesting how Nutanix responds...

Most definitely this will be one to watch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh my god… 😱
It's inzeresting that such issues appear again and again over time… do the companies hope it will not be recognized? 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

This sounds huge...I hope both MinIO and Nutanix will solve this together and not starting some legal fight over it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This sounds huge...I hope both MinIO and Nutanix will solve this together and not starting some legal fight over it.

Otherwise we’ll have another Apple / Samsung grudge match.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Otherwise we’ll have another Apple / Samsung grudge match.

And I know who's going to pay for it at the end 😮‍💨

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Sounds like they’ve been trying to however.  Sounds like it’s getting closer to a legal match though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sounds like they’ve been trying to however.  Sounds like it’s getting closer to a legal match though.

Yep, they’ve been trying to remediate privately for 3 years according to the blog post, so that certainly sounds like MinIO will try to force a judgement & payment from Nutanix now

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for the share @MicoolPaul 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

This blog contains a statement from Nutanix, though it doesn't say much: https://blocksandfiles.com/2022/07/19/minio-nutanix-open-source-licenses/

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sharing @regnor.

I like the following part (full quote below, part I liked in bold):

“With respect to some recent allegations in a blog that we may have used software in possible violation of an open source license in our Objects product, please note that Nutanix stands behind our products, including any open source that we incorporate into them, and commits to indemnifying our customers against intellectual property claims arising out of the use of our products, should the need ever arise.”

Trying to set their customers at ease is a good damage control step at least!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Looks like there's some progress. Nutanix has published another statement, which contains an admission of this issue and an apology: https://blocksandfiles.com/2022/07/28/nutanix-apologies-to-minio-for-apache-2-licence-infraction/

Also MinIO is listed in Nutanix Opensource disclosure; I'm not sure if they were part of it before: https://download.nutanix.com/documentation/Documents_ANY_Version/open%20source%20license%20disclosures%20for%20Objects%203.5.pdf

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

And here’s the answer from MinIO: Update: Nutanix Objects Violates MinIO’s Open Source License

So, for MinIO this isn’t solved and they want to have their Code removed from Nutanix products.

We fully expect that Nutanix will comply with the request to remove all MinIO software from their products.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well, Nutanix bit the hand that feeds and now they’re gonna suffer for it.

I’d argue that MinIO have solved it, by making a huge problem for Nutanix. That blog post summerises it all up, security issues, legal indemnities, Nutanix being required to change their code base to remove all references to MinIO code. That team is gonna be busy for a while. And to think, they had years to prevent this.

Thanks for sharing @regnor!

Comment