Question

Trying to restore Windows backup on Openstack environment

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my Veeam Media Recovery iso for Windows. I would like to use it on an Openstack cloud platform, but this iso won't boot.
I know that Veeam doesn't support officially this, but I'ld like to know if somebody here try this ?

The iso was generated from my Veeam B&R 11.0.1.1261 on a Windows 2016 server backup.

Here what I tried :
  - testing the iso on VMware environment = work
  - upload the iso on Openstack
  - run the iso with a flavor which have  1 cpu, 2Gb RAM and 1Gb HDD
result = No bootable device was found
  - create a volume from the iso
  - make it bootable
  - run the volume with a flavor which have  1 cpu, 2Gb RAM and 1Gb HDD

For your information, the same step work very well with my VMR iso for Linux on my Openstack platform. I have this issue only with Windows

Thanks for your help

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

1 CPU, 2Gb RAM and 1Gb HDD are a little low for Windows Server 2016, aren’t they? At least RAM and HDD.

But I never tried to boot a Windows ISO in such an environment… 😎

Userlevel 1

1 CPU, 2Gb RAM and 1Gb HDD are a little low for Windows Server 2016, aren’t they? At least RAM and HDD.

Hi,

This is for booting the Veeam Recovery Media not the Windows ISO 😉 so these ressources are sufficient.
On Openstack, I have to boot the ISO on a new instance and then attach a new empty volume to restore my Windows backup on this new volume

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi,

This is for booting the Veeam Recovery Media not the Windows ISO 😉 so these ressources are sufficient.
On Openstack, I have to boot the ISO on a new instance and then attach a new empty volume to restore my Windows backup on this new volume

Ok, didn’t see the recovery media part 😆

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Maybe it’s an issue re mismatch of UEFI vs. Legacy BIOS boot mode? I have no experience with OpenStack but I’ve seen this issue on other platforms…. so it’s just a guess :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @vvoisin 

Please review and check prerequisites:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/baremetal_byb.html?ver=60

Userlevel 1

Hello @vvoisin 

Please review and check prerequisites:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/baremetal_byb.html?ver=60

Hello @Moustafa_Hindawi,

I’ve checked your link, but my prerequisites seems ok.

Userlevel 1

For more information, here, on Openstack, what te console says to me :

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

could you please try to boot this ISO on any another solution like VMware workstation, virtual box, or else, and test it was created successfully, if so, then it’s Openstack configuration setting related.

Userlevel 1

could you please try to boot this ISO on any another solution like VMware workstation, virtual box, or else, and test it was created successfully, if so, then it’s Openstack configuration setting related.

As I said in my original post :  “testing the iso on VMware environment = work”

I know from the beginning that it is an issue with OpenStack settings/configuration 😉

Thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I think this below article could be helpful:

https://blog.andyserver.com/2021/06/booting-iso-in-openstack-environments/

Hi,

I don’t know if you still need an answer, but maybe it can be useful.
Recently we had the same issue in our Openstack infrastructure, the Linux VRM booted without issues but the Windows one was stuck on “No bootable device”.

We’ve “solved” the issue by using an ephemeral disk flavor. We still don’t know why it worked, but we will keep it as a workaround solution. 

Hi,

I don’t know if you still need an answer, but maybe it can be useful.
Recently we had the same issue in our Openstack infrastructure, the Linux VRM booted without issues but the Windows one was stuck on “No bootable device”.

We’ve “solved” the issue by using an ephemeral disk flavor. We still don’t know why it worked, but we will keep it as a workaround solution. 

Hi Cloudfire

Can you elaborate more the proceess to boot a veeam recovery iso? 

Also i have openstack and i don't know how do that

regards

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my Veeam Media Recovery iso for Windows. I would like to use it on an Openstack cloud platform, but this iso won't boot.
I know that Veeam doesn't support officially this, but I'ld like to know if somebody here try this ?

The iso was generated from my Veeam B&R 11.0.1.1261 on a Windows 2016 server backup.

Here what I tried :
  - testing the iso on VMware environment = work
  - upload the iso on Openstack
  - run the iso with a flavor which have  1 cpu, 2Gb RAM and 1Gb HDD
  - create a volume from the iso
  - make it bootable
  - run the volume with a flavor which have  1 cpu, 2Gb RAM and 1Gb HDD

For your information, the same step work very well with my VMR iso for Linux on my Openstack platform. I have this issue only with Windows

Thanks for your help

Hello,

Did you think to modify the Metada when you import your ISO to match with Virtio?

Try with these parameters :

hw_disk_bus: virtio

hw_scsi_model : virtio-scsi

Comment