Solved

Steps to restore VM to a new locatioin

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I am new to Veeam and would like to restore the backup to a new location. The wizard takes me through steps to restore. In the datastore menu does it automatically create the VM with the new name. This is production server just need to know more before proceeding. Is this the only wizard for restore or after completing this wizard there will be another wizard to be completed. Is the live server online when the server is restored?

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 23 September 2021, 14:36

View original

21 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The live server is always online unless you are restoring it back to the same location then it powers off for the restore.

In this wizard the second screen - Restore Mode - what was selected?  If you select New Location then it should show what will be appended to the restored VM.  Something like “_restored”.

That is what you will want to check.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Restore to new location was the restore mode, in the datastore menu it named the configuration files as New.vmdk, New_1.vmdk. Does this mean that it has created new datastore name and will not be overwritten on the existing VM. Can you please send me a link where it describes steps to restore VM to new location.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

To be more specific, the VM retains the same name as the original (source) VM you’re restoring. As Chris mentions above, the original VM is NOT powered off, unless you’re doing a restore to original location. In that case, the VM is powered off and disks are restored. If you just do a ‘click-next-click-next’ in the Restore wizard, the VM will retain the same name. But, you have the option to change the VM name at the ‘Folder’ step of the wizard. Select the VM(s) in the list, click the Name button, and you can change the VM name (individually, or in bulk) as shown in the image.

I recommend reviewing the ‘Entire VM Restore’ section of the User’s Guide for more info:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/full_recovery.html?ver=110

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah the new VMDK files would be new ones and not overwrite the existing VM.

Here is where you can get information on it - Restoring Entire VM - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

One thing to keep in mind when restoring to a new location - if you restore to a new Host/Cluster, but use the same VM folder as the original & use the same VM name, *the VM will be deleted*, so use caution there.

Cheers!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
  • Select Restore to a new location, or with different settings if you want to restore VMs to a different location and/or with different settings (such as VM location, network settings, format of restored virtual disks and so on). If this option is selected, the Full VM Restore wizard will include additional steps for customizing VMs settings.

During restore to a new location, Veeam Backup & Replication creates new VMs. If you want to process the restored VMs, you must edit existing jobs or create new jobs to process the restored VMs. If you restore VMs with the same name and to the same folder as the original VMs, Veeam Backup & Replication deletes the original VMs. In this case, you must edit existing jobs to exclude original VMs from them.

This step is confusing me, do I have to edit the job or create a new job if I am giving the folder a new name. Do you have a video that would help me to understand better if I am restoring to a new location.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

What this is essentially saying is your restored VM is a new VM. In other words, it has a new VMware UUID. Veeam doesn’t know about it from a vSphere perspective (even tho Veeam restored it). As such, you need to add this restored VM to the job the original VM was in, or create a new backup job with this new restored VM in it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What this is essentially saying is your restored VM is a new VM. In other words, it has a new VMware UUID. Veeam doesn’t know about it from a vSphere perspective (even tho Veeam restored it). As such, you need to add this restored VM to the job the original VM was in, or create a new backup job with this new restored VM in it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

This :point_up_tone2:

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you got it. Do I have to make any changes to the datastore name? They are reading what is in the existing server. Folder is renamed to restored suffix, is this correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

No...Datastores aren’t touched, as far as Veeam restore configuration goes. Restored data is just placed in them is all.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Restored VM will have its VMDK files in the new restored folder correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Restored VM will have its VMDK files in the new restored folder correct?

Correct.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Will the restored VM be offline after restore?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Will the restored VM be offline after restore?

You should be able to have it power on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There is a checkbox to select if the VM is powered on or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

As mentioned by JMeixner, there is an option at the final screen of the Restore wizard to choose whether you want it to power on or not.

Cheers!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you so much for working with me, we have successfully restored the server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This topic should be on the first page of the manual, so as to take some stress off us when an emergency recovery occurs :joy:

I lost an entire datastore holding a few VM’s, and I successfully restored the entire VM for all of them to a new location, and told the back up job to look at the new instance, but it won’t back up because I don’t have enough licenses. How do I remove the “old” instance in order to continue backing up the vm I restored?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@PointeBlankTech

You can revoke the instance from an old vm in the license menu:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/revoke_servers.html?ver=110

Thank you @Mildur it is running properly now!

Comment