Solved

SQL Log Backups While Excluding the SQL Volume

• 17 November 2023
  • 3 comments

Userlevel 1

My question is, if we are excluding SQL data volumes from the original backup job, can we still do full SQL backups and transaction logs using application-aware processing?

For some background, in our current state my team is backing up our Windows SQL VMs using a Backup job, then use a Backup Copy job to get those offsite. Since the team has historically ran SQL Agent jobs to do daily full and hourly log backups for each DB they decided to exclude any volumes storing SQL data from the Veeam Backup job. I see the reasoning and I suppose this works, but I’d like to shift to including Veeam on SQL backups so we can easily get those offsite using the existing backup copy jobs.

Finally, a sort of related question, if we can use Veeam and the SQL agent jobs in tandem, which one should truncate those? In my testing I’ve had to set the SQL Agent job to copy only mode for things to work, but I feel like setting Veeam to copy only mode should work as well, but I must be missing something since I get errors each time I try that.

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 17 November 2023, 17:31

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Nick Stanfill -

See the 2nd Note box from the Guide here. It appears if you exclude the SQL Volumes, yet enable AAIP, Veeam will indeed still back up those Volumes.

Personally, I can’t comment on which option to use..SQL Agent vs Veeam, as I haven’t tested it myself.

Userlevel 1

@coolsport00 good find, I must have glazed right over that. Awesome news though, that should mean we can avoid taking up even more backup repo storage to store essentially the same data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I found that nice nugget during my VMCE studies the past month 😊

Comment