Question

Solutions for Quarterly Backups to Cloud GFS?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

I have been out of the Cloud Connect loop for a bit. As I understand it you can no longer do Quarterly GFS backups on backup copy jobs to CC. Has anyone thought of some original ideas to get around this? 

If you have a customer that wants to send GFS to AWS Quarterly, I was thinking for them to simply add a direct AWS s3 repo to  V12 and if their bandwidth allows use the windows scheduler to run active fulls every quarter. Anyone else had this issue?

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Never had this issue but if you run monthly backups every third month is a quarterly backup anyway.  That is how I would get around it.

Similar thing with weekly backups but would need more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

yeah I need to see what the specific ask is and why but that is one way for sure thanks. Quarterly was nice, but I read why they had to get rid of it, not much one can do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Again I have not focused on this for a while but I know you can now schedule synthetic fulls, so every 3 Month backup then right away synthetic full to get the vbk I take it. If I am right about the latter. I will also look in the docs. I am rebuilding a lab right now so… :) am cycling with blinders on right now

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Again I have not focused on this for a while but I know you can now schedule synthetic fulls, so every 3 Month backup then right away synthetic full to get the vbk I take it. If I am right about the latter. I will also look in the docs. I am rebuilding a lab right now so… :) am cycling with blinders on right now

Yeah, you could schedule a synthetic full and use that for the quarterly as well.  One option I forgot that they added to v12.  😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’ve never used quarterly.  Curious how common it was.  Pretty sure this is the first I’ve heard of anyone using it - on purpose at least.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’ve never used quarterly.  Curious how common it was.  Pretty sure this is the first I’ve heard of anyone using it - on purpose at least.

Some financial institutions have compliancy based on Quarterly, I have seen it used a few times, not a lot but they were out there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

yeah I need to see what the specific ask is and why but that is one way for sure thanks. Quarterly was nice, but I read why they had to get rid of it, not much one can do.

I think this is why they removed the quarterly option. It can easily be created with every 3 months.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I think this is why they removed the quarterly option. It can easily be created with every 3 months.

Nope there was a problem with compatibility. Wait a second I can find the reason. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

“No quarterly backups — For consistency with the primary backup jobs GFS, a quarterly backup option is no longer provided. Existing quarterly schedules will be converted to monthly by increasing their retention value accordingly during the upgrade to V11. Existing Backup Copy jobs with GFS retention enabled will be updated automatically during the upgrade.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That was back in Veeam 11, shows how out of touch I am. Friends I may have to give up the Kubernetes Korner :(. My little brain can only handle so much technology.

Comment