Question

Sizing Nas / file share backup for 5 years

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
  • Comes here often
  • 35 comments

Hi, I have been looking for a calculator or method for sizing backup nas / file share with time growth from 1 year till 5

https://cloudoasis.com.au/nas-calculator/ i use this but there is no time growth 

Thank you

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m not aware of any sizing calculator specific for NAS/File Shares. What you can do is attempt to use Veeam’s sizing calculator ; if you know about the change rate for the Share, and expected yearly growth, it should at least give you a good estimate of what you need.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @dika 

cloudoasis nas calculator is unofficial tool but Rasmus talking about it here:

You must consider the sizing is influenced by multiple factors, first of all native compression (pdf file for example). 

In my last project for Nas backup I consider to use 75% of NAS size as requirement for repository (I know is a very large size but our client has a lot of pdf and video files). 

You can check more info here 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@coolsport00 can we use Veeam’s sizing calculator for estimating repository capacity to NAS backup ? As i know the ​​Veeam’s sizing calculator use forever incremental and also GFS as backup style which it's not backup style for NAS / FILE Share backup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Though unofficial, I think the Cloud Oasis tool is your best bet. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Andanet well, thanks for the the link, but if i would like to know the capacity need for 5 years,

Grand total = Data size * 1.1

5 years capacity need = Grand total * 1.1(1Y)*1.1(2Y)*1.1(3Y)*1.1(4Y)*1.1(5Y)

If yearly growth 10% ? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@coolsport00 how to size NAS/File Share backup for 5 years, just multiple the result with yearly growth 5 times ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @dika ...that’s how I’d do it; and that’s assuming your daily change rate remains fairly constant over that period. And keep in mind, any calculator is still just a ‘best guess’ tool. Nothing can be exact due unforeseen change rates at times. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

wow, looking at this topic, we use the word “guesstimation” a lot.

try your best, add some extra space just in case, and ensure you have the ability to grow in case of need, extra disks, another expansion box for disks, archiving, etc.

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @dika 

You can use this tool from Veeam and choose NAS from Workloads:

https://calculator.veeam.com/vse/

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Do you know your current year over year growth? without that it’s impossible to predict and will need to be a best effort guess.

We have a very large environment and estimate our growth at about 20% year over year. As file sizes grow, (video, images etc) everything supporting it needs to as well. Change rate and growth rate both need to be considered.

Add some extra space as mentioned for a buffer as having to buy more storage a few years in is not ideal. Especially when you plan on replacing some hardware. I hate evergreening something that has a drawer of disk we just purchased. 

Comment