Question

Run Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 on 12GB RAM, 6-core intel?

Userlevel 3

I’ve read the requirements which call for 16GB RAM and 8 cores.

How will this run on a 12GB Windows 10/11 machine with 6 cores (Intel i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz)? 

There’s little else running on the machine.

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You will be able to run it on that machine it is just not following best practices.  Depending on the load you put on it for backups it should be ok.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It will probably run slower, because of the lack of RAM. But I assume it will run….

Userlevel 3

Makes sense.  I will likely upgrade the ram to 32GB and hopefully that will compensate for the slower chip.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Absolutely this will run, though how well it runs depends on your backup & restore demands.

For reference I’ve got a 4th Gen 2.3Ghz i7 with 16GB RAM. I ran v6 inside a virtual machine with 2 cores and 8GB RAM. It warned me a lot, but with my test environment it ran absolutely fine.

What size environment are you trying to protect?

Also if you’re on SSD that’ll help a bit with a lesser amount of RAM via faster paging access.

Userlevel 3

What size environment are you trying to protect?

Also if you’re on SSD that’ll help a bit with a lesser amount of RAM via faster paging access.

Our M365 environment would be considered tiny by most standards.  Less than 5 users and not much data.  Machine has an SSD.  The machine is ExpertCenter D5 SFF D500SA, really nice hardware and expandable.  I might a 1TB fast SSD for installing the Veeam software and upgrade the memory to at least 24GB.  Hoping that will do it. 

We’re also running some AWS VMs, based on your comments I might just try it there first to see how it runs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah bit of RAM you’ll be fine! Just remember that Windows Desktop OS’s aren’t to be used “as a server” in the EULA 🙂 so AWS sounds your friend there as you can rent a Windows Server license at the same time if necessary.

Userlevel 3

Just remember that Windows Desktop OS’s aren’t to be used “as a server” in the EULA

Not sure I follow your comment here.  Where in the EULA is this stated?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, it’s the Microsoft EULA: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/OEM/Windows/10/UseTerms_OEM_Windows_10_English.htm

Section 2: Installation and Use Rights

Subsection c: Restrictions. The manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:

Point v: use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;

Userlevel 3

Oops, meant to hit “like” not “best answer”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think @Madi.Cristil can revert the selection...

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I think @Madi.Cristil can revert the selection...

Thank you, @JMeixner 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Always read the best practices for sizing.  However, You can over/under provision your servers by quite a bit without issue. The short answer is “It depends”

Size of yoru servers, amount of data being backed up, frequenecy etc all make a difference in requirements.

I’ve overprovisioned a few of mine and have had no issues at all. 

Just be aware that you may need to increase them if there is a large load. 

Userlevel 3

Always read the best practices for sizing.  However, You can over/under provision your servers by quite a bit without issue. The short answer is “It depends”

Indeed.  I ran some tests and we are quite under-provisioned, however, it runs perfectly.  High memory usage is the only concern.  Our installation is tiny, so we can get away with that.

Comment